Ladders for eaves.

Old 06-30-02, 06:49 PM
GeoBob
Visiting Guest
Ladders for eaves.

I am building a workshop with gable ends and one foot eaves. In the gable ends I know that I have to build "ladders" to support the roof in the eaves but I am not sure how to attach them to the first and last trusses.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-02, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In the business, they are called lookouts. There are several ways to attach them. The question I have is are you using ready made trusses or building rafters yourself ?

Old 07-05-02, 09:09 AM
GeoBob
Visiting Guest
I am using trusses.
A friend has since told me to use 3.5" screws to attach them to the trusses. What do you recommend.

Thanks

Old 07-05-02, 02:28 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
I always notch the gable truss ( the last one ) 1.5" deep and 3.5" wide on 4' spacing starting from the bottom, then run a 2x4 block from the next-to-last truss, thru the notch ( laying the 2x4 flat ) and out to the distance I want to attach the barge rafter ( the rafter that hangs out on the end). This works fine for up to 24" of overhang.

The notch is only cutting 1.5" into the 3.5" of depth on the top cord of the gable truss, and you can reinforce that truss off the end wall if you want to compensate for the notch.....which i've never done and never had a problem.

If you just run blocking out to hold the barge rafter, it may sag with time, since the main support is really the roof sheathing.