really old garage door troubles

Old 07-01-02, 04:43 PM
niki67
Visiting Guest
Cool really old garage door troubles

Hi. My husband and I have recently purchased an older home and been having troubles opening and closing the garage door. There is only one door that runs on 2 tracks (on each side of the door, with tension wires and one big spring loaded contraption on the top. The 'wheel's of the door also fall out of the tracks and 2 or 3 points on the tracks
Our problem is the door first would only close on a slant (one side would be lower than the other) no matter how many times we tried to lift this heavy door up and down. My husband decided to cut the tension wires and the door then came crashing down.
We tried wrapping the wires around the pulley at the top and re-screwed the tension wires back into the botton of the sides of the door, but the door remains shut.
Any ideas on how to fix this or...what kind of contractor should you phone to look at this problem?
I would also like to install a garage door opener, but don't know if it is possible with this old kind of system.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-02, 05:00 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
id say youre going to be calling a service man. do yourself a favor and let a pro handle this problem.

Old 07-04-02, 08:31 PM
niki67
Visiting Guest
Talking thanks for the advice

That is exacty what I shall do! Thanks