shed

Old 07-02-02, 04:18 AM
CyndyBLP
Visiting Guest
shed

I am building a 10 x 12 wooden shed on a site where there is a 6 x 8 slab left over from a metal building. How can I incorporate the current slab into the foundation for the new shed. I am open to slab type, pier or any other foundation - I live in FL so the soil is sandy and no danger of frost.
Thanks for your help!
Cyndy

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-02, 05:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 26 Posts
I think I would be inclined to build the shed adjacent to the 6x8 slab and use it as a "porch". Would give you a nice work area outside the shed. As for the foundation, here in Florida we can pretty much pick whatever we like as you mentioned because of no frost line and since you're inland you would have less concern for hurricane-force winds. For the last shed I built (I was in NC at the time), I dug post holes about a foot deep and sank 2' 4x4 posts in concrete at the corners and midpoints of perimeter. Next attached 2x8's to the perimeter, leveled up all around, and sawed them off at the top of the perimeter boards. Installed joist hangars and joists and finished floor with 3/4" exterior plywood. Built and raised stud walls for sides and built my own roof trusses out of 2x4s. Used hardboard siding and metal roofing and manufactured some doors from 1/6s and 1/2" osb. Still standing (as far as I know) 10 years later.