Garage Door Installation

Old 07-03-02, 11:08 AM
Norma Larson
Visiting Guest
Question Garage Door Installation

My son, his buddy and I are about to install a new garage door day after tomorrow. The door is a Wayne Dalton and I understand has a very safe spring system enclosed in a steel tube. I assume the door will come with instructions -- but my main question/concern is removing the old door -- spring an all. The old spring is visible over the garage door and I've heard they are very dangerous.

James seems to think the door should be down to remove the spring -- is this correct?

Is there anywhere I can print step-by-step directions to removing the old door?

Obviously I don't want anyone getting hurt and want it removed/installed correctly.

Hoping with the holiday, I hear from you in time.

Thank you.

Old 07-03-02, 11:44 AM
Debra
Visiting Guest
Good thing you are thinking safely! My husband and I took down an old door, they type with two big springs on each side, not knowing anything about it, we took off the top panel, then the next and so forth. When we lifted the third panel off, the bottom panel sprang up, tore out of the rails and just missed killing us both. We never even though to disconnect the springs.

I don't care where the springs are, but please be sure you disconnect cables, springs and anything else that can cause this to hurt you.

It just seems to make sense to take the spring off last.

Old 07-03-02, 12:57 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The door you are removing has the center spring located on a shaft above the door. The best way to remove this, if you don't have the proper tensioner tools is:
1. RAISE THE DOOR UP! This will remove most of the tension from the spring.
2. Push the door up on the track as far as possible. Use some vice grips locked onto the track to hold the door up and out of the way. At this point the weight of the door should be supported by the tracks overhead.
3. Now the tricky part, to remove the rest of the tension in the spring. You can test it by holding onto the shaft and see if you can turn it by hand, you should be able to. This will give you an idea how much tension is on the spring at this time. If you have a couple of people helping you, you can hold the shaft from turning while they remove the cables for the bottom of the door. Than just gentlely let the shaft turn, removing all tension. If you don't have the extra help, you can loosen the set screws on the pulleys holding the cable to the shaft. Be careful, cause once the set screws are loose enough the shaft is going to spin, removing the tension.
4. Now the last problem is getting the door down to a spot where you can disassembly it and remove it from the tracks. To do this, you will have to lower it..........It is very heavy without the aid of the spring being attached. Very carefully and with as much help as you can get, SLOWLY lower the door. Above all, remember you are getting rid of this door! If it happens to get away from you, or is to heavy to handle......jump back, get out of the way and let the thing fall to the floor. It probally will not hurt anything by falling, but you sure as heck don't want to be under it or have you foot in the wrong place!!!
5. Once you have it on the floor, you will be ready to remove it section at a time. Take a break, have some ice tea and talk about how it wasn't as bad as you thought it was going to be.

Wayne Dalton has a good system on them. Do not over tension the spring on these, if the door goes up and down well and stays up by itself, stop there. I have seen these set with the tension so high that once you unlatched the door it would raise a foot by itself. This was good for the homeowners, as it made it easier to lift the door and they found it easier to push the door the extra foot to close the door. HOWEVER, with the over tensioning you run the risk of the spring coming loose inside the tube. This will remove all the tension on the spring. (Remember what it was like to lower your old door without the spring on it)? Not a good thing!! Also, make sure once you have the tensioning set, snug down the set bolt on the tensioner. It prevents the same type of thing happening because of the tensioner backing off.

Well that is my thoughts on this. Not a pro, just a poor DIY'er

Be safe and be careful..take inventory of all your body parts before and after to ensure you leave nothing behind. :0

Old 07-03-02, 04:13 PM
doorman28/88
Visiting Guest
the proper why to remove tension from torsion springs is too get steel bars (about 9/16 of an inch in diameter, 20" long) to insert into the spring cones at the end of the spring. then AFTER you have inserted the bars into the cone may the lock nuts be losened. then its just a matter of un-winding the springs. you should never release tension with the door in the open posision. after the spring tension is off of both springs, take the hinges off of one side along with the rollers.then remove the top part of all the other hinges, leaving the bottom bolts/nuts tightend. after you have done this, you may lift the top pannel out and set it aside, then lift the next, then the next..............
you may do yourself a favor by hiring someone to do this work for you. 99% of all consumer insalls end in pre-mature failure of the door. the most importain thing is to make sure everything is level, if not the door will throw cables like crazy, and youll have hire that to be fixed..........

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: