garage door opener-how long will it work

Old 07-05-02, 11:25 AM
barbk
Visiting Guest
garage door opener-how long will it work

Anyone know how long we should expect our garage door opener to work? Ours appears to have died after 5 years. We don't want to spend a lot of time looking into repairs only to find out it won't last long anyway.
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-02, 02:21 PM
Tn...Andy
Visiting Guest
I've got a Sears&Rareback on the basement door that's been there about 20 years....replaced the main plastic drive gear in it about a year ago....

Got a Genie screw drive on the main door....and it takes a LOT of opening/closing.......it's the Pro 83 model.....20 years also and no problems.....

Got a Moore-o-matic on the shop roll up door.....it's a light commercial unit.....10 years, no problems.....

Had some Genie gate openers......they don't make them anymore and they were crap.....circuit board about every year or so...replaced with OSCO brand openers and NEVER a problem with them......

So the "life" ought to be a LOT longer than 5 years.

Old 07-05-02, 05:16 PM
Zathrus
Visiting Guest
The house I grew up in has a garage door opener that's over 25 years old now... I believe it's a Genie. I don't know how old the garage door openers in my house are, and they're different brands so either one died at some point or they weren't original with the house (20 years old).

Basically it should last a lot longer than 5 years... you either had a dud or it was misinstalled.

Old 07-05-02, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
And there are duds out here. My 3 year old Sears came with two remotes and a keyless pad. The unit will now only program for one transmitter so our only external way to open is using the keyless pad.

Old 07-13-02, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Get what you pay for

Me and my dad just replaced his 5 year old craftsman (builder grade crap) the difference in build quility is tremendous.

Genie is expensive,but he'll never have to buy another opener genie gaurantees it for life even including service calls !!

Old 07-18-02, 01:16 PM
elsa-the-lion
Visiting Guest
Lightning?

Sometimes you will find that with a lightning storm or powersurges, the board can be fried by no fault of the operator.

A surge protector can help prevent this. However if it does happen sometimes you can just pay to replace the board, but when you deal with electronics that have met lightning, there are no for sures and sometimes you can find yourself paying more to replace part after part, than if you just bought a new reliable model such as Liftmaster or Genie. And it is true. . .you often get what you pay for!

Old 07-27-02, 09:16 PM
stosh
Visiting Guest
Back in the day, a garage door opener consisted of mainly a motor and a switch. These older, simpler openers seem to last forever.

Openers made today are much more complicated and have far more sophisticated electronics in them. They're also much more suceptible to damage, especially from power surges or lightning strikes. On the upside, the newer models have safety features that the old ones did not.

I'd be very happy to get 10 years out of an opener. I think 5 years is more common for DIY-grade Sears/Chamberlain & Genie openers.

Stosh

Old 08-01-02, 12:31 PM
mcowgill
Visiting Guest
My Stanley is going on 10 years with no problems. I think sometimes it just comes down to the old saying: "You get what you pay for".