Broken Garage Door Spring

Old 07-05-02, 06:06 PM
lazybonz
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Broken Garage Door Spring

Just got home. Garage door would not raise. Found spring over door broken. Questions:

1) Can the Spring only be replace or does the whole rod assembly have to be replaced?

2) Does the whole door have to be replaced?

3) Can generic parts be purchased or do OEM parts have to be used?

4) Now the biggie. Where do I start the replacement job? This will be a do-it-yourselfer.

Thanks for any input.

Old 07-05-02, 07:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
lazybonz,

1. Probably just the spring
2. No
3. see 4
4. Replacing a garage door sprig is NOT a DIY project. It can be very dangerous and a professional should be called in. So, start the replacemant job with a couple phon calls. Get two or three estimates.

fred

Old 07-27-02, 11:28 AM
Probably 2 springs

They'll recommend 2 springs to keep thinks balanced properly. Cost me $160+ 5 years ago.

Old 07-27-02, 12:46 PM
They'll recommend to replace both springs. It's your option and a slight gamble.

I gambled about 7 years ago (one spring) - so far I'm ahead.

fred

Old 08-05-02, 12:31 AM
alwaystrymyself
Visiting Guest
broken garage door spring

I agree, this is not for the faint of heart. But if you have some "fixit" experience and confidence you can tackle this job. A replacement spring may be purchased at your local hardware or lumberyard. I bought my last one at HWI. Make sure you get the right one. Measure the length of the broken one and check it for a paint mark on either end (that is how they identify the spring for size and tension). The spring will come with some instructions but you will need a couple of sturdy half-inch diameter round bars about 18 inches long and a wrench to fit the lock bolt on the "cone" you will need to loosen an tighten. Be very careful...the danger in this job comes when you start tightening or winding the spring. If you should let one of the bars slip or get sloppy while winding the spring it could beat you severely maybe even kill you. You'll see what I mean when you get started. Just be very careful, this will only save you $100-$120 so if you can afford it get a professional. I get great satisfaction out of doing a job that others think impossible. Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: