Garage vs. Garage Shed

Old 07-10-02, 10:48 AM
trowpa
Visiting Guest
Garage vs. Garage Shed

I am looking into a 1 car detatched garage sized buiding designed to match my house (vinyl siding on the sides/ stone on the front).

This structure would be used mostly for storage (tractor, snow blower, gardening equipment, canoe, etc) but I would like the option of fitting a car in.

I want it to look as finished and attractive as possible, as it will be very visible from the road...

WHat are the advantages/disadvantages of using a "prebuilt" garage sized A frame shed vs. building a full fledged garage from the ground up? Obvioulsy the "shed" option will be cheaper and I'm wondering what I would be "giving up" should I choose this option.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-02, 12:56 PM
kdyer
Visiting Guest
shop quality before price

Before buying a kit, be certain to shop around not only for price, but structural integrity. Just like modular homes, there are some very nice units which compare nicely to framed houses, and others that use the cheapest materials possible like paper cover trim, 1/4 inch drywall etc.
The kit you get at your local lumber yard may cost $$ more than the one at Menards, but the quality can be well worth the extra money.

Old 07-13-02, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Local lumberyards

Sometimes offer thier own "kits" where they give you a set of plans for free when you purchase the materials from them.

The plans already have a pick list for the lumberyard to load the truck with, you just pay for it and have them bring the materails out, then get to work ...

Most chains like Lowes have the sheds in a box where the "kit" costs twice as much as the lumber it contains or they want to sell you one of their premade sheds.

Old 07-16-02, 11:29 AM
trowpa
Visiting Guest
I was actually considering a PRE-BUILT such as one from Country Structures versus building one "From scratch" whether by myself or by a contractor.

I wasn't really considering a "kit" option (if i'm building it myself, i can make my own material list).

What are the downsides to the countrystructures option?

Thanks