downed arborvite

Old 07-29-02, 08:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
downed arborvite

well after a year and a half growing, I found one of my arborvites split and laying down. When I picked it up it came off completly. Remaining standing is the right and left sides (it was the middle that was ruined)

A. I thought these were good wind screen (as I think the wind broke it)

B. Will the two ramining side continue to grow and fill in for what is gone, or should I get this guy out of there and replace it?

Thanks,

Martin

Old 07-30-02, 09:14 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Martin,

I believe I'd replace it. Even if it would grow back, it would take awhile and probably doesn't look real attractive at the moment.

In a thunderstorm, we lost the center of a maple. It didn't grow back, so there's a V in the middle of the tree. We left it since we don't have very many shade trees. Had it been a small tree, we would have replaced it.

Gami

Old 07-30-02, 10:19 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Martin - I can sympathize with your problem- we lost 5 very tall aborvitae last winter. Thw wet snow just bent them over like peeling a banana and the damage was done. I did a lot of research at the time and these trees will not fill back in - your best bet is to take it down. They have to be tied together in the center as they grow to prevent the kinds of problems you and I had.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: