Potted Blueberry Tree Problems

Old 08-03-02, 01:57 PM
COLLIE
Visiting Guest
Potted Blueberry Tree Problems

I have invested in two potted blueberry trees, however, one has brown leaves that are now dropping and it is looking sickly... The branches have a green-like color on them. Have I lost the tree entirely. I live in Washington DC and the drought plagued weather has been a very difficult one to withstand, therefore, I water them daily. They are both in pots and stand about 6 feet tall. Neither has produced any fruit. The problem tree is the biggest one. Can it be root rot, or cramped, or diseased? Thank you for your assistance.

Collie

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-02, 05:08 AM
Collie,
Do you have a particular reason for leaving your blueberries in the pots. I ask this because it will cause undue stress during these very hot and dry periods. I suggest, if possible, to plant them permanently in the ground. Water every couple days for about three weeks until the bush becomes establishd.
It may be too late for the sickly bush.

Fruiting - almost all blueberry bushes need a pollinator to set fruit. So, you need to purchase a different species if your two plants are the same variety. Very early next spring will be okay, since you will probably have trouble finding one now.

fred