Help with White Flies

Old 08-03-02, 08:07 PM
Gabryelle
Visiting Guest
Help with White Flies

Greetings. This is my first time to the board, so if this is a repeat topic, my apologies and feel free to point me towards a previous post.

I have an expanding herb garden currently consisting of basil, oregano, mint, dill and sage on my porch. During the summer, they have been beseiged by white flies. Mostly on the basil, but the flies aren't that picky. Because I plan to use these herbs for consumption, I have been hesitant to use a commercial pesticide to get rid of them. I would welcome any suggestion on a safe pesticide or any way to get rid of these persistant bugs. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-02, 09:25 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Gabryelle,

Welcome to DIY! Funny you should mention white flies, because we just sprayed for them.

I walked out into the yard today, and the white flies were awful. I'll bet there were a gazillion that flew out of the grass. I blended about 15 cayenne peppers with 5 cups of water, strained it through panythose and added 3 TBS. of a mild dishwashing liquid to a 3 gallon sprayer--including the 5 cups of cayenne liquid. My husband hoisted the knapsack sprayer onto his back and went after them. I think Byron posted how often the eggs hatch, but I don't remember how often. Two weeks? Obviously, we had a new hatch.

You don't need to add the cayenne peppers. If you'll mix up 1 TBS. of a mild (Ivory) dishwashing liquid with 1 gallon of water, that will take care of the white flies. We added cayenne peppers because of the cucumber beetles on the green beans.

It's a contact spray, so it won't kill the eggs. Keep after them, and hopefully you'll be white fly free. We had so many you couldn't talk, as they flew in your mouth. After he sprayed, nary a one. They suck the sap from your plants. The only damage I see is to the hostas. Others have reported problems with their tomoatoes.

Gami

Old 08-05-02, 03:37 PM
Gabryelle
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your advice. After one light spraying, the flies are virtually non-existant. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any that might crop up from eggs.