winter-hardy hibiscus problem

Old 08-06-02, 07:33 AM
Snickers
Visiting Guest
Unhappy winter-hardy hibiscus problem

Hope you can help! I'm really upset. I have a 2nd year winter-hardy hibiscus (two of them actually, but only one is acting weird) on the south side of my deck. It's grown nice and tall and is loaded with buds. Last week all of a sudden one of the canes started looking real droopy (entire length of it). I didn't see any bug or anything and watered it well. A couple of days later, it looked like a gonner. I cut it off Saturday, thinking if there was a problem, it would be better to remove it completely. Today another whole cane is starting to look droopy. Any ideas what might be happening??? Or what I can do? The other plant, not too far away seems to be doing fine. But then this cane looked good a couple of days ago, too.

If you can offer any suggestions on what I should do, I would certainly appreciate it!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-02, 09:21 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Snickers,

I don't really know, but that happens to mine sometimes too. In my case, I think they get a little broken at the root base during high winds.

It could be that you have some insect damage in the soil?

Whatever it is, mine always come back the next year bigger than the previous year.

Be sure and save the seeds for new plants. Mine also reseed. I have little seedlings coming up all over right now.

Gami

Old 08-09-02, 05:27 AM
Snickers
Visiting Guest
winter-hardy hibiscus

Thanks, Gami; it's reassuring to know this isn't the first time it's happened and it doesn't affect the plant in the future. I just enjoy them so much! Seeds? I assume you leave a spent flower on, let it dry out, and there's a/some seeds? That's interesting! Last year I pulled off the old blooms.

Thanks for the info!

Old 08-12-02, 02:18 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Snickers,

You're welcome. You can't miss the seeds. I let all mine go to seed once I don't see anymore new buds. They get dark brown and about the size of a walnut. Make sure they're fully dry before you pick them, but pick them before they split open and the seeds fall on the ground. I use one of those nut picks to get the seeds out.

I was hoping to reassure you that your plant will come back strong next year. Some of those seeds will probably fall at the base of the plant too, making it much fuller.

Gami