Irrigation

Old 08-06-02, 11:54 AM
Gail Shyan
Visiting Guest
Question Irrigation

Hi. Wondering if you have ever dealt with irrigation systems. Thinking of something simple such as a do it yourself pond that does not have a water pump but instead can allow overflow (either from rain or hose) to enter irrigation channels to water the rest of the garden. I know I'm going back a few thousand years (egypt , greece etc) but I thought it would be more eco friendly and fun for the kids in the family to learn about. Any suggestion are welcome!

Old 08-06-02, 10:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Welcome Fellow Torontonian!

What if you were to collect the rain in a barrel and then direct it using a syphon (would teach them about some hydraulic principles, too) or spout and hose at the bottom of the barrel to your channel(s). A pond can be a bit of a pain to manage if there is no circulation as mosquitoes would be quick to sieze the opportunity to breed in the stagnant waters. A barrel can be covered or completely drained to stop them from breeding.

Just a thought...

Howie

Old 08-07-02, 05:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello again Gail

Here's a neat syphon that I got at Lee Valley (here in Toronto) - it's a lot easier to prime than the old fashioned ways and can be connected to a regular garden hose to direct the water where needed. They've got a lot of other neat stuff (rain barrels included - it's one of my favorite 'toy' stores ) and has mail order as well as internet and live stores...

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...egory=2%2C2070

Howie

Old 08-07-02, 07:32 AM
Gail Shyan
Visiting Guest
Hi Howie!

Thanks so much for the great suggestions and the reminder about still water. The current problems with mosquitos/ west nile fever should be on everyone's mind these days as I heard this morning of yet another death in the US. I'll pass it on to all the pond owners I know.

Take care and maybe I 'll see you at L.V. next time I go!

Gail

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: