Moving an Arborvitae

Old 08-07-02, 10:30 PM
Preston
Visiting Guest
Moving an Arborvitae

I want to move an arborvitae that I planted in the spring of 2001. I'm not sure the exact age of the tree, but it is about 5 feet tall, and 2 1/2 feet wide.

What does every one think? Can I dig this tree up and move it without killing it? Also should I try to move it this fall, or wait until spring? (I live in the midwest, Kansas City area)

Thanks!

Old 08-08-02, 08:47 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moving a transplant.

Hi Preston,

This late fall would be best as you will then get root growth all through the winter. Rooting does not stop below 10 to 12 inches in the Dormant period. Think how much growth takes place with Garlic in the winter for harvest the second season in July.

Waiting until spring is asking the plant to do too much, heal, root, and start the process of buding out for the new season.

There is a product called Dip N Grow that can be mixed up in a pail & watered into the bottom of the new hole. This will stimulate rooting in it's new home.

The tap root is very important, so dig as much of it as you can. Also prune & paint the cuts with pruning paint. It is best to get all your fall/Spring jobs done as you transplant, so you can just stand back & watch it pop back out.

You have a real good chance of sucess due to the limited time inground & the overall size of the plant.

I have had very good luck transplanting trees & shrubs with this method, some were trees that had been there from the start, up to 10 years like Dogwoods etc.

Don't forget to use 4 small ropes like soft nylon to stake out in 4 places to keep the plant from being blown over. The windy winter storms, are one reason most plantings are done in springtime. No matter what time of year staking new transplants gives them a good straight start.

Best of luck Preston & don't forget to let us know how it turns out next season.

Marturo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: