Arborvitae 's dying

Old 08-08-02, 02:08 PM
adenjeff
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Arborvitae 's dying

Planted 17 Arborvitae's in May, Watered daily after about 4 weeks noticed 4 of them browning. Now it hasn't rained a whole lot in Wisconsin this summer, but I was watering daily. Now I have 13 of them that are brown or dead. Is there anything I can do that would bring these back? Can I cut them, or do I just pull them and burn'em? Thanks Jeff

Last edited by adenjeff; 08-08-02 at 02:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-02, 06:51 PM
Pull them if you can.

Hi Jeff,

Tree loss during the first year is a fact of life. Unfortunatly not everyone can spare the water due to drought conditions. A new tree needs at least an inch of rain a week.

We also have been very dry here in Western NC. We set up a pair of 200ft hoses cut with Ts and the soaker hose rings around every new tree. Both this years and last years trees. We have to run this daisy chain of soaker rings at least 8 hours every other day.

While that sounds like a lot you have to remember, that by now the roots on the 2 year olds are at least 9 or 10 feet underground. Without very deep watering tree transplants will make shallow roots prone to dehydration and loss of the tree.

If you can pull up slowly and gently & the plant starts to come out, it is dead. So you would have to burn them up and replant this fall. Yes this fall & that would help keep the trees growing more like they were planted at the same time.

I hope that I could answer some of your concerns, best of luck on the others. Water deep and slow.
Marturo

Old 08-10-02, 01:44 PM
adenjeff
Visiting Guest
Marturo

Thanks for the information. After I plant them I knew I should of waited till fall. I 'm just going to keep on watering and hope I can keep what is still alive, alive. We also have been doing rain dances daily, but no rain yet. Thanks Jeff

Old 08-10-02, 05:14 PM
Smile Let's all dance.

Your Welcome Jeff,

This has been a long hot dry season for many of us. I like the idea of the Rain Dance I think if we all started dancing it might just work. Then again if not, it sure would make us feel better.

Untill then, we will just keep on watering & dancing

Marturo