Balcony Gardening

Old 08-11-02, 05:40 AM
Smoquii
Visiting Guest
Balcony Gardening

Suffering acute gardening withdrawal. I have recently moved from a home into an apartment with balcony. I have previously done container gardening, but in a different part of the country. I am looking for advice on plants and growing season in Arizona. I have had success with my outdoor garden, but now wish to work with container gardening. One of the problems with gardening here, is the heat and sun damage. I have built an arbor on my balcony with hopes to grow ivy for shade. Need advice on any plants that would provide trailers and can stand the heat. I get full eastern exposure sun in the mornings. Any advice on plants that grow well in not only Arizona, but containers as well, would be greatly appreciated. Also tips on providing shade and privacy to a balcony garden. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-02, 09:30 PM
Shade Cloth

Hi Smoquii, welcome to the DIY Garden Forum

It just struck me that you had the same problem a green house grower has. Sun light is to bright & the heat build up is a killer. Even in the Winter.

So call around to your local Farm & Garden stores & ask for Shade cloth for green houses. You will need a 50 percent reduction not the 70 percent.

It looks like a black screen made from a weave of fibers. Why Black I thought instead of white. The black color helps to absorb the heat before it can go through and heats things up. White reflects the heat back into the green house.

This just may give you both things you want privacy & shade. We use a shade house to start our fall plants, that if grown in the open in July would burn up and die. It is up too 20 degrees cooler inside the little house than outside.

There are a lot of small drip watering systems on the market to help keep your planters evenly moist. As far as what you can grow, just try what you like & see how it does. The eastern sun you get is morning sun the best kind, less heat than afternoon Sun.

I hope that gives you some starting points.
Good luck with your Garden, just maybe this will help with your withdrawals.

Marturo

Old 08-11-02, 10:40 PM
Container gardening

Contact your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for a list of plants that are great for container gardening in your area as well as tips for container gardening.

Old 08-13-02, 07:19 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Smoquii,

Very good advice from Marturo and Twelvepole. Whenever you need quick advice, please refer to Google. (Thanks again, Fred--it seems I can't thank you enough for that great search engine.)

If you'll type in "container gardening in Arizonia", you'll find some really helpful info.

www.google.com

Gami

Old 08-14-02, 04:34 PM
Google

Google is the only search engine I use. When I first became a internet junkie, I used multiple search engines. Now, it's just Google.

Old 08-15-02, 07:01 PM
DITTO,

learned about google watching z-tv, now TechTV.

fre

Old 08-16-02, 06:36 PM
You've gotten some good advice here. Sorry about the gardening withdrawal.

Here's a site that might be helpful.
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/balcony/

Good luck,
Newt

Old 08-16-02, 09:35 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Newt,

I noticed you hadn't posted for awhile. It happens! Welcome back!

Gami

Old 08-16-02, 09:55 PM
Thanks Gami,

It's good to be back. I was working on painting the kitchen, my son got married last weekend and we had a house full. The house was a dust bowl from the renovations, so I was in a cleaning frenzy! Yuk. Guess I'll slow down for a while. hehe.

Regards,
Newt

Old 08-17-02, 05:51 AM
Smoquii
Visiting Guest
Thank You All!!

Thanks for your helpful suggestions and links. I found a great arid weather plant for my arbor, Cat's claw vine. It appears to be doing well. Off this weekend to find suitable containers for growing my flower and vegetable garden. I even came up with a way to provide some humidity and beauty for the plants. I am working on refurbishing an old fish tank that has a pressure leak, but I think I can get it to work as a outdoor "pond" and plan to use it as a coffee table..... hey there's no stopping me now!! LOL
Again, thanks for the advice and links!!

Old 08-17-02, 08:53 AM
Hi Smoquii,

It sounds like you've gotten it figured out! I'm so glad for you.

Take care,
Newt