An ole arbourvite

Old 08-14-02, 06:21 PM
An ole arbourvite

I live in southwest Pennsylvania. There is an abrourvite that came with my home (I have lived here 2 years now and have seen photos from 5 years ago with the scrub in it) so that is a guess as to how old it may be. It is about 5 feet tall.

Anyhow, one side at the bottom has recently become dried and fried. Any ideas what might have caused this? I water this tree about once every week to week and a half. The rest of the tree looks great.

Thanks,

Martin

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-02, 08:49 PM
Martin,

Sounds/looks like a dog problem.

fred

Old 08-14-02, 11:13 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Martin,

We had the same problem a couple of years ago, and I agree. Fred nailed your problem.

I'm just popping in to tell you that it isn't permanent. That is, until you do something about the dog. I hate to say this, but the dog we thought was causing damage to our tree was hit by a car. It wasn't our car, and I'm not suggesting you run over dogs.

I am suggesting that you put a fence around that tree, notify the owner of the dog of your problem, and go from there.

For some reason, dogs don't want to do their duty in their own yard...so neighbor's plants/trees/grass suffer.

If you live in the city there should be a leash law.

Gami

Old 08-15-02, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. Well, I live in the suburbs and since I have owned the house have yet to see a stray dog roaming (not to say it isn't happening) I'll have to keep my eyes "peeled"

Thanks,

Martin

P.S. Yes, I wouldn't go out and hit a dog with the car, but if I did, I would be sure to put my business card in his mouth. (Work at an emergency veterinary hospital)

P.S.S. That was just a little humor, I don't like to see any harm to companion animals, of course.

Old 08-15-02, 01:12 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Martin,

You're welcome. Dogs come around here at night. There's evidence ALL over. They dig in the garden, leave HUGE deposits smack on the sidewalk, etc. That's fun!

One night we were sitting outside with some friends and one guy's eyes got really big, and he said, "What is THAT!!!?" He couldn't really tell at the time since it was dark. It was one of those HUGE, white, long-haired dogs. Since you work with animals, I'm sure you know what I mean. We could tell whenever he was around because he always brushed against the roses, and the thorns would grab some fur.

I think people come home from work and release them after dark to get a little exercise. We don't have leash laws in the country.

Gami