Removing Evergreens

Old 08-22-02, 12:15 PM
LawnBoy
Visiting Guest
Smile Removing Evergreens

I plan on removing about seven evergreen shrubs from my front yard, I was first going to cut then at the base and then dig the stump and roots out, is there a good technique do this? Do all the roots have to be removed before I replant?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-02, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello LawnBoy

Depends on how big they are, but generally speaking elbow grease and a strong back (along with pickaxe and shovel) will do a good job. You could try a winch or some other mechanical method but be sure to loosen the roots with the shovel/pick before you start pulling - you don't want the chain or rope to break or snap back if it slips from the tension.

Try to get as much of the root out as you can - the old roots may or may not impede your planting of new materials, but dead wood underground will encourage mushroom growth.

Going to move your post over to the Garden forum - a similar question was posted over there not long ago, so others there (here now ) may be able to help.

Howie

Old 08-22-02, 07:37 PM
LawnBoy
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for your response, a few extra tips to help me. These are smaller evergreens, but seven of them will be a little work!

Old 08-23-02, 06:49 PM
Forgot to mention - check for underground services before you start swinging that pickaxe!

Hope it's not too late...

H.

Old 08-23-02, 09:35 PM
N
Hi LawnBoy,

You're right, it will be a lot of work. I would probably cut them close to the ground so I could see the roots more easily. Howiek has given you some great advice. The only thing I would add is to add lots of compost to the planting bed before you put something else there.

Good luck,
Newt

Old 08-24-02, 03:19 AM
Not to disagree with Newt, but I'd be inclined to leave one good stump intact about 18" - 24" high (remove the side branches and small growth) so I could lever or tug on it as the roots loosen up...

Probably too late now, anyways... Are they history yet, LawnBoy?

H.

Old 08-24-02, 08:50 AM
Smile Another look

Hi LawnBoy

You may want to just take a look, at a post down abit called (tree )

At 50 with 2 busted Discs, I have to look for ways to rid Stumps & Roots without hurting my back.

It may not be the method you were looking for, but it works very well for those who have to remove tree stumps.
Who may not be able to dig or can't afford the stump grinding service.

Marturo

Old 08-24-02, 09:01 AM
LawnBoy
Visiting Guest
I still haven't had time to tackle the project with the evergreens, I guess I'm putting it off a little bit. With all the advice I feel ready to dig.... Sometime soon!

Thanks for the help!