Tomatoes

Old 08-27-02, 08:37 PM
Lil' Gardener
Visiting Guest
Tomatoes

I have been gardening for many years, but this year I have a different problem. I planted 12 tomato plants - stacked them all like I always have. There were 4 different varieties. They grew like normal, I didn't fertilize them, but did water occasionally. They grew extra tall, out thru the top of my stakes, and bloomed like crazy, but have hardly produced any tomatoes. They don't even seem to be setting them on, just keep blooming.

Any suggestions?!?

Old 08-28-02, 10:38 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Not setting Blooms

Hi Lil' Gardener Welcom to DIYs Garden forum

I have read about products like blossom set, that is said to help the flowers to stay on.

I believe that is is well researched, as to why Tomatoes do this and there's no majik spray thay can help with the many different causes.

Please do a search on (Tomato blossom drop) on the best search engine @ http://www.google.com .

Make a list and check mark every reason it happens that you can correct. Then try to correct what you can, & hope for the best. You don't sound like a beginer, so if it can be corrected you can do it. At this point you just need to know the reasons why the blossoms are dropping.

Growing can be strange at times, our all time favorite Squash with our customers, is the Tromboncino. Only this year they have Macho-itis almost all the flowers are male. You can't get a squash with a male flower.

Back to the Tomatos all ours are dying with the blight we all suffer with here in NC. So far there is no end in sight, then someday in future the Tomatos will go to frost & it will be gone until the next blight say cucumbers.

If there is one thing I have learned about growing for Market it is. Never promise anything when it comes to plants & there products. Every year we learn a new bug or condition that can wipe out a whole crop. We also had the worst sweet pepper crop we ever had this year. When we pulled the stunted leaves curled plants we foung that big fat grubs had lay there munching on the root systems leaving us with Bonsai pepper plants.

Not to leave on a cloudy note the Raspberries are doing great as are the young fruit trees we have planted in the last few years.

I hope you can find the reason your Tomatos are not setting & cure the problem long before frost.

Marturo

Old 08-28-02, 08:55 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Lil' Gardener,

This is purely a guess, but maybe your flowers aren't being pollinated by bees or other insects. Do you see many bees flying around your garden? The use of insecticides has decreased the natural pollinators. Sad, but it's happening! You don't have to be using them, but someone else nearby may be.

Maturo,

I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma. It's bad enough when it happens to gardeners who grow fresh fruit and veggies and hope to have enough to can. It's worse when it happens to those who are doing this for a living.

Gami

Old 08-29-02, 08:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Our friends the bees & pollenaters

It' s very sad but Gami is right, we can no longer take for granted that out plants are being pollenated.

While under pollenation is but one of the reasons that a plant will not set fruit. Today in the year 2002 we are headed for a world wide crisis. Add to this Genetic enginering & we are going to find out just what the old commercial said. " It's not nice too fool Mother Nature"

With the death of hundreds of millions of honey bees, just when we seem to start making head way against one, yet another problem or problems is hitting the little honey bee.

Being outdoors most of the year, day or night I have seen other insects, not replace, but pollenate none the less, our fruit & Vegetables.

What I am saying is yes, as Gami has said, do take some time to watch your plants for bees or any insects that visit your blossoms.

If you see none or very few, try to take a cotton swab and work it's fuzzy end into the flowers. you want to pass as much pollen between flowers to ensure good pollenation.

Don't forget that there are other causes, so don't let your guard down, study the causes then do what you can to correct each one.

Marturo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: