hyacinth bean, forsythia and mondo grass

Old 08-28-02, 11:24 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hyacinth bean, forsythia and mondo grass

1. I planted my hyacinth bean late - probably the end of June. But it is now huge and bushy, climbing everywhere but there has not been one flower on the vines. I planted them in several places and none have bloomed. They are in full sun and seem to be in great shape as they are taking over everything. Why haven't they bloomed?

2. I heavily pruned my forsythia a couple of months ago and it is more huge and in the way. It is a very large bush - the main shrub is 5 ft tall and 6-7 feet wide. Probably two dozen shoots are 10 ft tall. If I prune this late, will the stems that are not pruned still bloom or will it cause the whole plant not to bloom next fall? It still needs another severe pruning to keep it in shape for the fall but I want it to bloom!

3. I have a black mondo grass plant. It just hasn't done very well. It hasn't grown much and is sparse with new green leaves instead of black. It looked good when I bought it. I thought it was getting too much sun, so I planted it in a part shade part sun location. Its still doesn't look that great. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-02, 10:25 PM
Blooms

Hi bibbus,

. I planted my hyacinth bean late - probably the end of June. But it is now huge and bushy, climbing everywhere but there has not been one flower on the vines. I planted them in several places and none have bloomed. They are in full sun and seem to be in great shape as they are taking over everything. Why haven't they bloomed?

We use T-pees made of 10' bambo & all vines are in full sun. The vines are not as thick with folage as a morning Glory. There are dosens of flower stalks with purple beans going up to purple flowers. Fetirlizer we use would be like 5N- 9P- 11P Not 10-10-10 or 20-20-20. What have you used to feed them?

2. I heavily pruned my a couple of months ago and it is more huge and in the way. It is a very large bush - the main shrub is 5 ft tall and 6-7 feet wide. Probably two dozen shoots are 10 ft tall. If I prune this late, will the stems that are not pruned still bloom or will it cause the whole plant not to bloom next fall? It still needs another severe pruning to keep it in shape for the fall but I want it to bloom!

I prune our row of forsythia once every 3 years. Then in the Spring they put on a real show with all those Yellow flowers covering every stem. None of our plants are over 5' tall & have a ball shape just getting rounder for all three years until I prune again. Why have they gotten so large? How much flowering do you get in the fall?

3. I have a black mondo grass plant. It just hasn't done very well. It hasn't grown much and is sparse with new green leaves instead of black. It looked good when I bought it. I thought it was getting too much sun, so I planted it in a part shade part sun location. Its still doesn't look that great. Any suggestions?

I will do a search on this Mondo grass & see if it has any special needs. Many of the Grasses require full sun.

Marturo

Old 09-01-02, 04:24 PM
N
Hi Bibbus,

I too planted my hyacinth bean late and I've only had one bloom so far. They, like most annual vines should NOT be fertilized as this will cause lots of green growth and very little bloom. They also tend to like a leaner soil. In your registration you don't say your location or zone, so I don't know when your first frost will be. I am in zone 7 and should still have time for enough bloom so I can save some seeds for next year.

For your forsythia, the recommended way to prune is to cut the oldest stems to the ground. The remaining stems should be allowed to arch to form a graceful shape. This will reduce the size and allow the younger stems to get stronger and bloom more prolifically. The best time to prune a forsythia is after blooming. The stems that you haven't pruned should bloom just fine. The pruned stems should bloom, but may not bloom as much.

Black mondo grass is a real shade lover. Putting it in sun will cause the leaves to get greener. It should like your shadier spot. Mine gets about 3 hours of sun and has stayed black. It will do fine with less sun or no sun as well and blacken up next spring.

Hope this helped.
Newt

Old 09-03-02, 07:45 PM
B
I planted my hyacinth bean in my vegetable garden in heavily ammended soil and I am sure it has benefited from the tomato fertilizer I applied frequently to nearby tomato plants. Could this keep the plant from blooming at all? I am in zone 7 too and last year we hardly had a winter.

So if I still want to prune my forsythia to get it in better shape, are you saying that the stems I don't prune will still bloom?

Thanks for your help!

Old 09-03-02, 09:09 PM
N
If you reread my answer to your original post, your answers are yes and yes.

Newt