shrub advice needed

Old 08-26-02, 06:15 PM
maureenk
Visiting Guest
shrub advice needed

Hi--I just bought a home after being in a condo.

Before you enter the garage, there is a wall that is
about 3 feet high and 2 feet wide and 4 feet
long. It is full of dirt. It looks like a big planter
and is brick on the outside--with drainage at the
bottom.
It is below the overhang, but gets sun on the one
side from about 11:00am to 3:00pm.

Presently there are many, many chipmunks living
in this area. They have made it their little cabin.

I am working on getting rid of them; but need advice
as to what can be planted in this area. The overhang
is about 6 feet above the wall.

I would like to plant something that will not grow too
tall, and will fill in the space. Right now the homeowners
are constantly throwing dirt out and making a mess.

ANY SHRUB recommendations accepted. I have no experience
in this area--so instructions and names accepted with
appreciation.

The chips family thanks you also! They WILL BE moving shortly.

Maureen

Old 08-27-02, 11:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile What to plant?

Hi maureenk, Welcome to the DIY Garden forum

Sounds as if you have a good location for a small tree or shrubs.

To make a suggestion I will need a State or Zone. Flowers or foliage plant height etc.

Being under an eve you will have to setup a drip irigation system. A nice mulch that suits the plant will hold in water, keep the weeds out, & also make your garage look nicer

With a little more information, I can make some good suggestions.

Marturo

Old 08-27-02, 07:54 PM
maureenk
Visiting Guest
shrub advice needed

I live in New Jersey. I'm hoping you can give me the names
of something I could put in this area.

Also--what is a irrigation system?

thanks for you help!

Old 08-27-02, 10:10 PM
Smile New Jersey

Hi maureenk,

First have you thought of anything? I mean like a Kitchen herb garden, A flower bed for annuals or prenials, a small shrub.

I want to give you the right advice because you would not want to plant something you had to dig up in a few years & replant.

maureenk Asked:
Also--what is a irrigation system?

A small sprinkler, soaker ring, drip tape, anything to puts water down around the roots. You did say the planter sat under an eve so that means no rain.

Standing there with a hose for as long as you can, wont give the plant enough water, you need slow soaking drip drip drip. This is the modern way to conserve water & really get water deep into the ground too hydrate the plant.

Think about some of the things I said & remember Winter and early Springs are the time to plant Shrubs or trees when they are dormant.

A lot of people have begun to to grow the kitchen herb gardens again. Picture Chives, sage, Oregano, basil, rosemary etc. Fresh for kitchen use almost all year long.

This is just a suggestion, & you can go to http//www.google.com and do searches on shrubs that do well in NJ.

Godd planning of any bed will lead to years of weed free growing of healthy plants.

In the end you will have to make up your own mind on what you want to put in today so take you time and plan your plot carefully.

Are we getting any closer to what you had in mind?

Marturo

Old 08-29-02, 06:34 AM
maureenk
Visiting Guest
shrub advice

Hi,

I am looking for specific namrs of low growing shrubs.
thanks

Old 09-01-02, 04:13 PM
N
Hi Maureenk,

My suggestion would be the nandina domestica 'Nana'. The 'Nana' is a dwarf variety and it stays evergreen, can tolerate a little dry once established and turns a pretty redish bronze color in the fall. They stay mounded and won't grow more than 2' to 4'. Here's a picture in the fall if it's been in full sun. Don't expect this much red with your sun. Mine get about 2 hours and don't get this red.

http://www.fernview.com.au/varieties...stica_nana.htm

Here's another picture.
http://www.ci.cerritos.ca.us/citygov.../dwrfbamb.html

There is also one called nandina domestica 'Compacta' that grows to about 6' that might work well for you too. Here's a site that has pictures that you can click onto and some info.

http://montereybaynsy.com/N.htm

If anyone gives you the names of plants, you can do a search at www.google.com and put the name in quotes like this: "nandina domestica compacta" and get lots of info. You can also click on 'Images' as well and often get pictures.

If I read your post correctly, you have an area of 4' long. You should only need 3. Fall is a great time to plant. For an irrigation system, you could just use a soaker hose on a timer for the first year. You'll find these at a garden center or a Home Depot type of store.

By the way, fall is a wonderful time to plant shrubs, trees and flowers. There's less stress from heat and they'll have time to establish their root systems before trying to grow. Here's a site you may find helpful.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/pl...rees/f1147w.htm

There is also a whole bunch of helpful links if you go to the main 'Gardens' page of this site. It's the first post.

Since you are new to this, feel free to get back to us with any questions you have. I would recommend that you add lots of compost to the planting bed before you plant and mix it in. You won't need to fertilize. You can buy it by the bag at the places I mentioned. You should add about a 3" layer. The best thing you can do for your plants is to give them a good foundation to grow in. They'll be healthier and better able to fight off pests and diseases.

Good luck,
Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: