Hibiscus flowers

Old 09-04-02, 12:43 PM
oobagah
Visiting Guest
Question Hibiscus flowers

Does anyone know if you can start Hibiscus flowers from seeds. I got some seeds off of a beautiful plant that my neighbor has, and I'm wondering if I can make them grow, and if so how do I go about it? Like do I start them inside, or outside, when to plant them, and any help you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-02, 07:19 PM
oobagah,
I have collected some hibiscus seeds myself this summer from my red disco belles. I've put them in an envelope and will plant them in pots early next year. I'm not sure that they need to have a 'cold' storage period or not.
But better than seeds was starting a few new plants from cuttings. I tried three small three inch cuttings, they're now outside already and about seven or eight inches tall. They rooted in about five weeks. But I guess you're disadvantaged since the plant you're interested in is your neighbors.
good luck,
fred

Old 09-07-02, 07:05 AM
oobagah
Visiting Guest
experimenting

I'm going to try a few experiments with my seeds. I planted some of them now, and will leave them outside for the winter. I am also going to plant some in early Spring, and then transplant them outside. I will probably end up going out to buy some plants!!