Stressed GINGKO tree - help!

Old 09-06-02, 09:36 AM
plantspirits
Visiting Guest
Question Stressed GINGKO tree - help!

I bought a gingko tree - it's young and only about 5ft tall. I'm inland in CA. Well we got a heat wave here - it's been in the 100's. I think I overwatered it and then the intense sun was too much. The leaves have turned really brown and ugly, and limp. I covered it up with shade cloth and removed some mulch to let it dry out.
The questions is - will it recover...it's supposed to like full sun and is supposed to be hardy. It looks awful right now but if I hang in there will it revive in the cooler weather or should i get another gingko?

All suggestions appreciated!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-02, 03:30 PM
Smile Check roots for signs of life.

Hi plantspirits, Welcome to DIY Garden forum

What happens when we over water is, the Oxygen is driven out of the roots by the water & the plant dies.

The fastest way to determine if the plant is dead is to tug lightly on the stem. If the plant slips up & out it has died.

It's hard to drown a plant that is planted in the ground, unless you have flooded land. Most times we see root death in a planter without good drainage.

The heat could have shocked the tree & leaf loss is a self protection measure, like dropping it's fruit to save the tree.

A plant will kill off it's fruit, leaves & small branches all in an atempt to save it's root system.

So this is where I would start first, the roots must feel firmly attached into the soil.

Marturo

Old 09-06-02, 04:48 PM
plantspirits
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks

Marturo,
Thanks this is very helpful. The branches are still green if I break off a little. It seems pretty well in the ground - altho the water measure still shows off the scale. I have removed all the mulch around it to speed up evaporation. I guess I'll just have to be patient and see if it buds out again in spring...