New Peach Tree Needs Care

Old 09-13-02, 08:29 AM
agnorthnj
Visiting Guest
Wink New Peach Tree Needs Care

I found a pit that was growing in some compost out in the yard next to the small maple tree, dug it out, planted it in it's own pot, and it has grown well this summer,and is 24" high now. I looked up the type of fruit it could be recently and my search suggested a peach tree. I have never grown a peach tree before and have many questions now. Living in Northern , NJ, is it common to grow peaches? Should I plant it in the ground before the winter sets in or keep it in the pot? Do I have to make sure it receives some sort of protection through the winter? Do I need to mulch? How much water do I need to give it? Which fruit tree sprays and where do I get the proper fruit tree sprays for it and when do I start spraying ( right now while it's still young or when it starts flowering first?) ? What other kinds of fertilizer does it need, and when? How high does it grow each year after the first season? I just need everything in general about growing a happy and healthy peach tree seedling. I'm surprised it has survived this far.[FONT=courier new]I found a pit that was growing in some compost out in the yard next to the small maple tree, dug it out, planted it in it's own pot, and it has grown well this summer,and is 24" high now. I looked up the type of fruit it could be recently and my search suggested a peach tree. I have never grown a peach tree before and have many questions now. Living in Northern , NJ, is it common to grow peaches? Should I plant it in the ground before the winter sets in or keep it in the pot? Do I have to make sure it receives some sort of protection through the winter? Do I need to mulch? How much water do I need to give it? Which fruit tree sprays and where do I get the proper fruit tree sprays for it and when do I start spraying ( right now while it's still young or when it starts flowering first?) ? What other kinds of fertilizer does it need, and when? How high does it grow each year after the first season? I just need everything in general about growing a happy and healthy peach tree seedling. I'm surprised it has survived this far.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-02, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Peaches in NJ

Hi agnorthnj,

It is possable to grow peaches in western NY, so why not put it somewhere outside in a protected location. After it goes dormant & in early Spring plant it in a sunny location.

Other than Dormant oil spray, I don't think you will have to worry about any other sprays for at least 5 years. In the meantime you may want to contact your County Agent for more tips on growing Peaches in your area.

Growing a tree from seed takes longer, but it will taste a little better knowing you started this tree from a seed.

Good luck with your Peach

Marturo

Old 09-17-02, 05:09 PM
agnorthnj
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply.

I noticed the leaves have been falling off the tree right now and some of them are turning brown in certain spots. Is this what it does before it goes dormant? Or does it have some sort of peach tree disease already?

Old 09-17-02, 10:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Time for a rest

Yes indeed, it is good ol September & many plants will start to loose their leaves now.

If you look closely you will see the new tight little buds, all wraped up for winter.

It looks as if things are going well for the little peachling. Make sure to keep it out of the wind, but outside until you are ready to plant in very early Spring bury the pot in the soil to it's top to keep the roots from freezing.

Marturo