Have you ever seen such pretty Garlic?

Old 10-21-02, 03:48 PM
Thumbs up Have you ever seen such pretty Garlic?

I have seen a lot of Garlic for sale at the Markets. So I would say that I'm a good judge of Garlic. This is the order we placed last month & I said that I would let you know what we thought of Irish Eyes.

As Brown came bouncing down our lane today, we were getting more excited the closer they came.

There it was the Garlic shipment we had ordered from: http://www.irish-eyes.com

We set the box inside on the table & cut it open, & inside were 1 pound bags, of the prettiest Garlic we have yet seen.

Inchelium Red, Nootka-Rose, Brown-Tempest, Romanian-Red, Chesnok-Red, German-Red, Spanish-Roja Hundreds of cloves all headed to becoming Bulbs next summer.

I will have to say all the shades of reds & purples look good enough to eat so many colors & flavors it looks as if we won't have a problem selling this nice Garlic.

All the bulbs were uniform packing was bulbs in mesh bags surrounded by wadded up newspapper. The package came through in good shape as did the bulbs.

Well that's my Garlic report now we have to plant them all. We plan on selling Garlic in our produce line, but all of the garlic sellers also sell in 1/2 pound bags.

Next thing we need is some Xhittake plugs for our Mushroom house, we will be starting this Winter. Anyone have a good source for the Spawn please let us know. X stands for S before plugs.

Well from what we have seen from start to finish of our order for the Garlic. I will have to give Irish-Eyes a thumbs up.

I would rather spend $65.00 on Garlic from a dealer someone had delt with the seller, than out of the blue. We took a chance, but you can buy now, with confidence knowing how our order turned out.

So if you can help any of us, with your seeds & plant experiences, please do. Word of mouth is what, I would rather hear, than some glitzy ads.

Marturo

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-02, 10:22 PM
Hi Marturo,

This sounds wonderful. I could almost smell the garlic roasting in the oven. I wish I lived closer to you so I could taste your wonderful produce!

Newt

Old 10-22-02, 05:53 AM
Hey guys
Marturo, I wish I had some information on mushroom plugs for you considering how much you've helped me, but the truth is, I don't In fact, Im still looking myself.

I'm trying for the umpteenth time to grow garlic fro a supermarket head. I planted 4 cloves in the greenhouse this weekend. I had one in there, but as is usual with garlic with me, the shoots died So here we go again. I'm sure that someone will come along with some advice on the mushrooms. I sure could use it as well

Eric

Old 10-22-02, 09:04 AM
Growing Garlic from the store

Hi Newt, Eric

Eric the way I read it, on the store bought Garlic & this is why you & I had no luck growing it.

The supermarkets soak the bulbs in a no sprout solution, & it's not intended to be grown. That's one reason we want to grow our own. What does this anti sprout agent do to our bodies when we eat it?

I believe this is true, because I never had any luck trying to grow it from the store bought Garlic.

You all remember when I wrote about the Potatoes we tried to grow from the Supermarket?

Pretty Red potatoes, until we grew them. They were so ugly with blems we could not sell them. They wern't certified & had some kind of desiese.

Eric if you can find a Co-op or health food store, you might could buy some bulbs from them, & give it try or order a half pound from Irish Eyes. Won't take that long to get to you nows the time people are starting to plant.

For those of you wanting to learn about growing Garlic Iv'e not found many sites better at explaing the Dos & Don'ts of Garlic growing, better than Irish Eyes.

As far as the mushroom plugs, I believe the is a Farm in Tennessee called the Mushroom people. I need to find out more about them.

PS: Newt how do you roast your Garlic? Container, time, temp etc.

Marturo

Old 10-22-02, 10:41 AM
Smile Roasted Garlic

Hi Marturo,

With all the chemicals they put on and in our food, it makes me wonder if that is the answer to the problems we are having with learning disabilites, attention deficit disorders, allergies, cancer, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, sterility and much much more.

To roast garlic:

Coat heads well with olive oil, wrap in aluminum foil or use a garlic roaster (it lools a lot like a garlic keeper jar) and place in 350°F. oven for approximately 1 hour. When cooled, squeeze garlic from cloves and purée or mash with a fork. You can put it on bread instead of butter, mix into mashed potatoes (yummy!) or use in soups.

Roasting garlic gives it a sweet and mild flavor. For more recipes go to www.foodtv.com or www.epicurious.com and put in search box: roasted garlic.

Newt

Old 10-22-02, 05:03 PM
Smile Roasted Garlic Yum

Thanks newt,

That sounds like a great way to store your excess Garlic as well, roast & freeze.

So the Hot is roasted out just as in cooking. Many times the type of garlic you choose has less or more hot when eaten raw.

A few of the types we chose had a mild hot with a big garlic flavor when eaten raw like in Salsa or salads.

Then two of them have a very hot flavor that stays longer if not over cooked. Have you heard of Kyolic Garlic Capsules? Of all the Garlic suplements this has the best track record for lowering blood pressure.

It is aged & in this process the hot gos, and the health giving part stays intact. Anyway you eat it the Stinking Rose is one of the spices of life

Marturo

Old 10-28-02, 06:04 PM
John Hall
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

what a great gardening site! thanks for the link. good luck with the fine garlic too. john

Old 10-28-02, 06:08 PM
Hi Marturo,

Yes, I do take the Kyolic garlic capsules. I just love the taste of garlic and use it a lot! Oh, by the way, roasting does make the garlic sweet.

Newt

Old 10-28-02, 07:27 PM
Smile Garlic in FLA ?

Hi John Welcome to the DIY Garden forum

When I was in FLA, I just grew tropical fruit so I never tried to grow garlic. I wonder if some of the heat tolerent ones, would work??

My Dad lives in Sebring & I send him seeds in my fall that he grows all winter down there. Of course he sends me Mangos, Oranges, Grapefruit etc.

The weatherman says 26 on fri night so out comes the remax to cover our Chinese vegetables. The broccoli is almost gone & the leaves are changing late this year by one month.

We have gardeners from all over the World here so enjoy yourself & get to know everyone

PS: newt we roasted some garlic from the store fri night, & had it with toast & butter Ohhhh I think I'm in love Just great sweet and flavorful.

Marturo

Old 11-03-02, 05:05 PM
tennessee
Visiting Guest
garlic

planted 4 row of garlic in my garden last week love to grow garlic, if had some bulb let would send to give people a start to growing it.

Old 11-16-02, 03:34 PM
Smile Getting started growing Garlic.

Hi tennessee,

Just getting into growing Garlic. Do you mind answering a few questions on growing Garlic?

Let me know & I will ask away, I have quite a few questions

Thanks, Marturo