Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

What insurance do I need from tree surgeon?

Old 12-11-02, 02:11 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have an estimate from a tree surgeon to take down a large, dangerous oak tree in my backyard. He left me a copy of his insurance certificate, but my neighbor says I should get one with me listed as a secondary insured. Is this the case? What exactly should I ask him for and how much should it cost?

Old 12-11-02, 04:51 PM
Hello hackwriter and Welcome to DoItYourself.com

I think that the amount and type of insurance your contractor carries will depend a lot on the jurisdiction (local rules) where you are as well as your needs. Here in Southern Ontario (Canada), the most important things that a contractor carries would be insurance for his own workers (Workers' Compensation Insurance and health and accident) so that you would not be held liable for injury to his workers while on your property and liability so that if any of his work did damage to your or your neighbours' properties, his insurance company would cover it, not yours...

I think that as long as you have a contract with him and he is carrying proper insurance, there should be no real need to have you specifically listed on any of his policies...

I see that you have already posted your question over in Law, so hopefully you will get a better answer over there.

I think that there may be more people over in Gardening who may be able to add their opinions to your query, so I am going to move your post over there.

Hope others can help.

Howie

Old 12-11-02, 11:00 PM
Smile Tree surgery.

I agree with Howiek, all contractors must carry their own insurance.
When I last had a section of dangerious trees taken out, the tree Company showed me their limits of liability. If you are comfortable with them, you should not need to get involved.

Have you checked this Co out with the BBB? I would, just to be safe. Better to know now if they have litigation pending, you may want to shop else where.

Good luck on your job.

Marturo

Old 02-22-03, 11:38 AM
H
An update on my tree removal: The guy I had originally hired had told me he'd be out the week after Christmas, but never showed. A month later, I hired another company at $2000 higher price, and they were well worth it. It's the local affiliate of a large company. I completed their Web form, and by the time the guy called me back THE NEXT DAY, he had already been out to look at the tree and left me the estimate. He gave me a detailed description of the issues, the alternatives (none really) and what would be involved. As soon as I gave the OK, he faxed me the general insurance certificate, followed a couple of days later by a letter detailing our discussion and a written copy of the estimate, which I signed and faxed back.

As soon as he set a date to do the work, he left at my house a copy of an updated insurance certificate with me named as an insured party for the job. The guys showed up promptly on the day they said, and after two days, the tree was cut down to the ground and all the debris removed.

Not cheap, but these were real pros, and I felt very comfortable dealing with them.

If anyone's ever in northern NJ and needs a tree removed, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. (Moderators: Should I post the name???)

Old 02-22-03, 12:16 PM
Smile DIY, or the best we can.

Hi hackwriter,

I see no problem making the name available of a Company, who is good & does an honest quality job. We all give out links to help each other out.

Well I am happy to hear that the felling job went well, it can be nerve wracking watching and wondering, where they will really fall. That's great you found a profesional crew to do the job. I don't mind paying more, I just want the job done when I was told it would happen, and have it done right. Or a phone call would be nice if they can't show up.

Marturo

Old 02-22-03, 03:10 PM
H
The company is Sequoia Tree Service, division of Almstead Tree Service (http://www.almstead.com/).

I did not hang around to watch them do this; I couldn't bear to watch. I came home the first night to find Stonehenge reproduced in 120-year-old oak ( ) in my front yard, and the second night it was all over but the stump and sawdust.

I was so impressed with these guys I'm going to let them do ongoing tree care so that I can keep my other six oak trees.

Like you, I would rather pay a bit more and know the job is done right. That my out-of-work spouse found a job between the time the first guy didn't show up and we got the estimate from the second one helped....a LOT.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: