Relocating Roses

Old 12-14-02, 07:10 AM
Nancy Sue
Visiting Guest
Relocating Roses

The house I recently bought has tons of roses in the front and back yards. Prior to my recent purchase of the house, it was vacant for over a year. I know these roses were receiving great tender loving care from the previous owner who passed away. I know pretty much nothing about roses and although I love them, there are just toooooo many. I want to remove some of them and hopefully find someone who will enjoy them. There are some I want to keep and relocate. I do not want to toss them. What is the best way to dig up the roses and preserve them until I am ready to replant? and any ideas on what organizations might be interested in receiving roses bushes? Thanks, Nancy Sue

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-02, 11:24 AM
Smile A Rose by any other name.

Hi Nancy Sue, Welcome to DIYs Garden forum

Oh how lucky you are well now to get to your questions.

First off, with all those Roses I would sugest you invest in a good book, on Rose care. Many of the large online Rose retailers have a good selection.

We do our work deviding & replanting while the plants are dormant. I don't know what State you are in so I will use mine.

NC Mountains. Next month I will start to trim my roses, some get cut back to 8 inches while some get only shaped & dead canes removed. Thus the need for the book so many types of Roses.

To keep a plant that has been dug, buy good quality Potting soil & 2 gallon black plastic pots. I then dig a hole just large enough to hold the lower 2/3 of the pot & place it (The Pots) in ground.

The reason for that, is you don't have to wory about the potting soil drying out.

Call your County Agent and ask for the ph# of the contact person, in the nearest Rose Club. They most likely can help you to find good homes for your Roses.

In fact someone from the club could come out perhaps, & show you the different kinds of Roses you have, & how they must be trimmed.

Great Roses are not hard to grow, if you give them what & they need. A good book on Roses may be found at http://www.jacksonandperkins.com

I hope I have given you a good start. You are very lucky to find such a treasure of Roses, best of luck with them.

Marturo

PS: Please copy & paste the link.

Last edited by marturo; 12-14-02 at 12:08 PM.