Evergreen not evergreen

Old 12-18-02, 09:08 AM
dpgast
Visiting Guest
Evergreen not evergreen

One of my evergreens does not appear to be doing so well. I planted six of them that I bought from Lowes about five months ago. One of them is turning brown and 'leaves' are falling off near the bottom on one side. It is getting worse as winter goes on. I believe they are Emerald Evergreens and they are planted in Cincinnati, Ohio. They are all getting the same amount of light and water. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-02, 02:42 PM
Smile Evergreen turning brown

Hi dpgast, Welcome to the DIY Garden forum

I believe it is dying. 5 months ago from today, would have been July. Planting or transplanting in the Summer, is the #1 worst time.

If 5 of 6 made it, I would say you beat the odds . We have a Lowe's store here, & I have seen them bring in plants & Trees all Summer long. OK, if you sink the pot & all inground, for the summer then dig out again & plant in late fall.

Your best times for planting a dormant plant or Tree is, in the Early Spring or late Fall.

You may want to remove & replace your tree as soon as lowe's gets some, & then pop it in. This way all 6 will grow more evenly.

Marturo

Old 12-20-02, 04:47 AM
Could be ok or could be bad news.

Is "Emerald Green" a type of tree or a "brand" name?

The problem could be one of several.
White pines don't do well in the Cincinnati area. The problem could be winds dring out that tree. Many evergreens need protection from drying winds, especially in the winter.
It could be insect damage - have you looked closely?

Old 01-03-03, 07:58 PM
mlminin
Visiting Guest
I don't know if this helps or not, but Lowe's and most other stores like that offer a one year money back guarantee on their plants. If they really are dead, you should be able to get replacements in the spring, (they don't have them in stock this time of year), or a refund, especially if you have the receipt.

That must be a big disappointment.

~mlminin