heirloom fruit trees?

Old 01-02-03, 06:51 AM
eab3
Visiting Guest
heirloom fruit trees?

I'm planning on starting a small orchard in northern New Mexico (2.5 Ac., Zone 4). I'd like to do something different than the usual rome, jonathan, etc. I've found some good web sites that sell "antique heirloom apples, peaches, etc". I'm hoping to simply provide an alternative at the local farmers market to the "standard" fruits and nuts.

My question is this: Has anyone had any experience with this and can you recommend, advise for or advise against certain types of trees? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-03, 10:13 AM
Hi eab!
I saw you over at Sierra, and I want to welcome you to DIY! As Gami told you, there are plenty of people here who can help you out with your questions.

Unfortunately, I don't happen to be one of them If it was heirloom vegetables, you might have a shot, but not with fruit. I stick to the newer stuff However, don't worry. Someone will be around to help you eventually Welcome again!

Eric

Old 01-02-03, 03:54 PM
Smile Growing Antique Fruits.

Hi eab3,

I'm planning on starting a small orchard in northern New Mexico (2.5 Ac., Zone 4). I'd like to do something different than the usual rome, jonathan, etc. I've found some good web sites that sell "antique heirloom apples, peaches, etc". I'm hoping to simply provide an alternative at the local farmers market to the "standard" fruits and nuts.

My question is this: Has anyone had any experience with this and can you recommend, advise for or advise against certain types of trees? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Well it's a small world isn't it?

Linda & I decided if we were to be competive with the new young Farmers we had to use our wisdom not our backs. So after growing and picking every type of Vegetable we could find that was unique & offer for sale.

Something was missing, besides 30 years, Local Tree,Vine,Cane Fruits of an Earth Friendly nature. The local CO-OP had fruit from CA, while we live right in a fruit growers paradise. So who around here was growing the really old tasty fruits of long ago??

Talking with our customers we found out what we expected. Yes we want & will buy Antique & Heirloom Fruit.

So we found the place Sanoma Antique Apple Nursery but they have since changed hands. You will be able to find their apprentices at the new site http://www.treesofantiquity.com

We bought so many tree & grape vines in the last 4 years we have started some other new projects like Mushroom houses etc. While we wait for the next 1 to 3 years for the trees to start producing. We even bought the orignial GALA from 1965 Ummm, it has gone through 6 changes since then. Now it tastes like nothing, looks prerty though, the modern one.

I would start with their site & if their Teachers have taught them anything, it's you must teach others how to bring back the past. So since you can't do this all by yourself. Sell trees to the world.

This year is the passing of the Torch from Teacher to Pupil. You will find many kinds of apples so get ready to do some study on how big, what types will sell, who will start to rot in 2 weeks & many of those things that can make or break a Farmer.

The beuaty of Heirloop Veggies is if you make a bad choice, it's only one year. If you make bad choices in fruit it takes years to find out & you have one choice cut and replant, A costly mistake for a Farmer to make.

Find out what is selling in up scale markets & use that as a guide only. We are hundreds of years older than most upscale & hope our study & experience learned talking with the old local Apple Farmers.

We also are growing Peaches, Asian Pears, Figs, Elephant Heart plums & many more. The graps are the old fashioned eating grapes (Table Grapes ) with seeds oh my!

We think there is a large need for local ripe Fruit of the old ones. Besides unless you have 500 Acres. Why would you grow what the big guys are? Give people a taste of yesterday in their modern kitchens of today.

Marturo

Old 01-05-03, 04:04 PM
eab3
Visiting Guest
heirloom trees

Hi Marturo,
Thanks for the info. Sonoma Antique Apples is one of the web sites I've been visiting. I was hoping I might get specific info from our members regarding which varities of apple, peach, pear, etc. they have had experience with...

Old 01-07-03, 09:23 AM
Misunderstood.

Hi eab3

My misunderstanding, I thought you were a market grower when you said Orchard & alternative at the local farmers market. I got all my info, from the sources a farmer would look for.

I am in Apple country, so all I was looking for were the varieties that would sell well for us on market day. Not all Heirloom Fruit & produce tastes that good, that is why we grow & judge for the first year, before we offer it for sale.

If I lived in NM I would write Seeds of Change they at least would know the climate requirements on Fruit trees that will do well in NM.

Best of luck on your project.

Marturo

Old 01-07-03, 04:33 PM
eab3
Visiting Guest
Hi Marturo,
Sorry for not being clear. Thanks for the info...I'll look into Seeds of Change!