Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

who can supply best quality of WHITE ASPARAGUS seed

Old 01-13-03, 06:34 PM
paulsohn
Visiting Guest

Please recommned which shop I can get best quality of WHITE ASPARAGUS seed ??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-03, 07:57 PM
Thumbs up White Asparagus

Hi Paulsohn,
Welcome to the DIY Gardening Forum!

You would probably benefit more from asparagus crowns than you would seed. Asparagus is a perennial, but will not produce from seed until after the third season. Crowns that are available will range in age anywhere from 1-2 years, so it will not be long after you plant them before you can harvest. That having been said, there are several vendors of aspargus crowns. www.jerseyasparagusfarms.com is probably the United States leader in crowns.

As you may be aware, the white is caused by a technique called blanching which is to say you mound the soil up around the spears as they emerge to keep them white. The same principle also applies to leeks and celery, but it is probably most noted in cauliflower to keep the curd from turning green.

A healthy and well maintained asparagus bed will provide you with harvests for up to 20 years. However, some "ahead of time" work has to go into planting. I can remember back to when I was in high school, and I would see aspargus growing on the waterfront. It likes a very sandy bed with a pH value slightly on the acidic side (pH 6.5-7.0) During the first year of their growth, which may be the second year for the crowns, do not harvest. Let the spears fern out and die back. The third year of the crowns (2nd in your garden) is when you should begin. You want to harvest spears with tight buds. I have also heard that breaking the spears rather than cutting them is a better idea. One thing I am sure of is when you got harvest it, make sure you have a pot of boiling water ready for it because asparagus quickly loses its flavor after its been cut. Blanching (cooking term this time) it and then shocking it in ice water preserves its flavor and color, but like I said, you have to be quick.

Again, welcome to the Forum! Glad to have you aboard

Eric