Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Lettuce/best for container or kitchen growing

Old 02-03-03, 05:08 PM
tomatosweetie
Visiting Guest

I'm interested in knowing the best type of lettuce to grow in a container or kitchen garden environment. Bib? romaine? Other?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-03, 10:22 PM
Smile Lot's of lettuce

Hi tomatosweetie, Welcome to DIYs Garden Forum

Below is a link to over 50 kinds of lettuce, at The Cooks Garden. Many of our customers grow some simple things at home & I have heard, very good things about them (TCG).

We order large qty's of seed, & have to have a bigger break than some of the very small seed sellers can offer.

Give them a look & you may find what you need. What they don't have in Qty buys, they more than make up for in choices. They carry other seed as well.

Marturo

http://www.cooksgarden.com/webapp/co...e&GENU=Lactuca

Old 02-04-03, 06:03 AM
Thumbs up Container Lettuce

Hi Tomatosweetie,
Let me also extend my welcome to the forum! Excellent site Miguel gave you. I can speak from experience that iceberg (butterhead) lettuce does well in a container. In fact, I had a couple of heads growing in a flower box a couple of years ago! It looked cool with the crop being wider than its container. I've also grown romaine in a 5 gallon bucket.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. First, and I can't stress this enough, lettuce is a cool weather crop . If you are planning to start your lettuce from seed, the ideal germination temperature for the soil is 40-60. If the soil is much above 68, germination slows, and may even fail. Ideal growing soil temperature is between 55 and 65.

2. As the lettuce begins to form a head, shade it from the hot sun. Lettuce is quick to bolt if the temperature reaches or exceeds 75 degrees. Tall growing plants such as corn or sunflowers will provide shade and help keep the lettuce cool.

3. Despite its shallow, compact root system, lettuce is a moderately heavy feeder. As you are probably aware, iceberg lettuce is literally 95% water. It doesnt need a ton of water, but it should be kept thoroughly moist during the season. I also sidedress mine with a 10-10-10 fertilizer every other week.

Good luck this year! What else are you growing?

Eric