Roses

Old 04-04-03, 08:15 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roses

When we purchased our home, there was an established rose garden, with approx. 10 bushes. We removed the white chalk rock and the plastic ground covering. We are looking to put bark down on the ground.

The question that have is that the rose roots have grown out. We were planning to build motes around the roses and have a sprinkler system water into there. But I hear that since the roots have grown out, that may not be a good idea.

Any recommendations?

Old 04-06-03, 12:11 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi tgutjahr,

It's my opinion that it's very rare for rose roots to grow above the ground. (I'm assuming that's what you are saying.)

The reason that is probably happening is that the roses are not getting enough water and they are reaching on top on the soil for any moisture availabe. Dew is moisture.

Roses do need a fair amount of water. They need deep watering. I don't think it's right that you shouldn't install a watering system. A lot of people who are serious abour growing roses install a drip system for each rose.

Roses have deep roots and very rarely do they die from lack of frequent watering, but they will not flower profusely.

Let us know how you make out with them.

Gami

Old 04-07-03, 09:54 AM
T
Do you recommend a drip system even if the roots are wide spread.

How do you feel about the bark covering?

Old 04-07-03, 02:48 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi again,

Who told you not to use a drip system? Are they knowledgable about gardening? I'm asking because maybe there's a reason that I don't know about. I have roses, but no drip system and wish I did. I don't see any reason why you can't install a drip system. My thinking is if you start watering deeply, the roots will grow back down to reach the moisture below the soil.

Can you add soil to the cover the roots without smothering the base of the rose?

I use wood chips, and they work out just fine. Can you find some place to buy them by the pick-up load? It's cheaper that way. I don't use the big pine nuggets if that's what you're talking about. Also, you could check for free mulch given away if you had any ice storms this winter. It's usually free. If you live in the country where they do a lot of tree trimming, you can get mulch free from them too, and they'll deliver it where you want it. There's sometimes a waiting list.

Gami

Old 04-07-03, 04:14 PM
T
Thanks for the input. I was going to put a layer of topsoil down and then the wood chips. I was told that a drip would not be that good due to the roots spreading out.

Do you recommend that I build a mote around the roses and have the drip in there?

Old 04-07-03, 06:33 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi again,

When I think of a moat, I think of something surrounded by water. Do you mean to have water constantly standing around the roses?

No, most plants need 1" of water per week. Of course, that depends on how dry it is. BUT, to use that as an example, roses need 2" of water per week, but they should not be in standing water. Nothing but bog type plants should be in soil that wet. The mulch will help keep the moisture for your roses. You could put a border of some type around them to contain the weeds, but you don't want to make a soggy condition.

Another problem you may have is that your soil is clay. Water may not be soaking in like it should. Check your soil before you do anything and work in some compost or other amendments to let the water soak in rather than run off.

I can't help you with how to set your drip system for how much water they need. I'm sure some others on this board can help you with that.

Gami

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: