where can I get free plants/seeds?

Old 03-14-03, 10:09 AM
where can I get free plants/seeds?

I don't have anything to swap. I need a board or direction where to get the following at $0:

hostas or other shade loving plants or ground cover
arbor vide (sp?) or hardy bamboo for privacy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-03, 01:32 PM
Free Seeds

Hi dseidel01,

I just paid $1.01 for 13 seeds the other day & wish I knew where to get free seeds .

There is a Bean called a purple Hyacinth been, I got 5 beans for a dollar last season at an Herb festivel. Last Fall we got 1,254 beans back from four towers & 4 plants. I have thought of selling some to Parks seed company, what a return from a dollar. In 1974 I was growing 4 times as much as today. The seed cost including the time and materials to produce your own seed. Many seeds were well below a penny & today a seed can cost over a dollar.

Has anyone seen a board or group: I need a board or direction where to get the following at $0:

I guess a forum where people send each other & trade seeds

I sure hope someone answers your question, I would like to know of a place like that also

On the Black Walnut Trees. Why not dig some in the areas around the old trees? Every Walnut tree owner has small 3 & 4 foot nutlings, they have to dig and get rid of in spring. Sounds like your in Black Walnut Heaven there.

Old 03-16-03, 06:48 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
there are many seed swaps done by mail order in US and canada. if you dont have anything people will probably send you some spare seeds.

Alternately! Free Seeds At The Robins Nest. Earth Day every year. That day only. while supplies last. Pittsburgh PA location.

Earth First!
-Josh

Old 03-25-03, 09:02 PM
glennia
Visiting Guest
free seeds

I am just starting to grow flowers and found out by taking walks around the neighborhood I have gotten lots of seeds,bulbs, and new friends!

If you live where there is a Sr. Citizen Center you might call or visiit and ask if anyone can share seeds,etc. Lots of plants and bulbs need thinning and lots of people will let you have shares of their plants for you thinning them out. Helps them and you get good plants!

I have plenty of hyacith(sp?) beans that make absolutely beautiful climbing vines I will be happy to send you. Also have Blue Bonnet seeds if you live where they will grow.

Assume I can give you my email address here:[email protected] and I will send you some of all I have.

Old 03-26-03, 10:59 AM
luna05
Visiting Guest
There is a place on gardenweb.com that you can trade seeds or get them free for a self addressed stamped envelope. Lots of different kinds!

go to the link below!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/exseed/

Old 03-26-03, 03:51 PM
Smile Seed swaping

Now that's the sprit, Seed swaping is an old gardeners tradition. Gardeners have far too many seeds for themselves. So why not share them with other gardeners?

As the Garden Web site stated: No seed sales allowed. Aside from that, I think it's a great way to save money & help many Gardeners unable to buy plants or seed due to the high cost.

In 1974 I grew 4 Acres of mixed Vegetables, for $35.00 in Seed cost. At over $2.00 per pack of 13 seeds today, the Seed Companies are making a Killing off us. Fertlizer, : Compost Garden Lime, : Limestone powder $22.00 per ton be creative.

My point is look for leaves, Grocery store produce throw aways, many sources for free Compost making products. Maybe a sticky for us, to exchange our e-mails & let each other know what kinds of seeds we have.

This post is a good one to make your feelings known. Let Bomber or myself know, if you think we need a seed swapping sticky. I don't see any rules that say we can't swap things like seeds on our Garden Forum.

Marturo

Last edited by marturo; 03-27-03 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-27-03, 11:52 AM
Thank you! I responded to previous poster and enrolled in GardenWeb.com.

Old 04-01-03, 06:22 AM
luna05
Visiting Guest
I like the idea of a seed trading sticky!

Old 04-06-03, 08:13 PM
TnWren
Visiting Guest
I got a post up on the new seed swapping sticky....somebody come talk to me!!!!!!!!
Dawn