white mold under lemon tree leaf

Old 03-22-03, 04:10 PM
hurdle
Visiting Guest
white mold under lemon tree leaf

Hi,

I have a full grown lemon tree in my backyard and recently I found white mold under the tree leaves. Does anybody know why is it happening and how to cure this? This is the first time I found something like this after moving into this house for 2 years

Thanks for help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-03, 04:55 PM
Citrus white Mold

Hi hurdle,

Do you have a loop? A magnifying glass of 5X or better?

Mealy bugs are a pest of Citrius. Do you use a dormant Oil Spray, yearly?

Once you look at the Insects/Fungus with the optic you can check out some of our links, in the Pest Control Sticky. We have some good pest identification links.

Mealy bugs look like areas of cotton however since MBs are not the only pest, it will help to try to identfy what is bugging the tree.

Marturo

Old 03-22-03, 07:59 PM
hurdle
Visiting Guest
Ctirus bug

Hi,

Here is a picture of the underside of the leaf. I believe it is the egg of some kind of bugs, but not sure if it is the mealy bug. I even saw some of the bugs moving. So what should I do? Spray the underside with the dormant oil? The lemon flowers are blooming right now, will it hurt?

Thanks for help

Old 03-22-03, 10:39 PM
Smile Let's look at Neem Oil

I know many people have used Safers soap & it has it's places. When it comes to the small tiny bugs that make our plants sick with secondary infections & fungul problems.

Green Light Brand Neem oil is going to knock down the adult, larve & eggs. If you spray once a week, you will get the upper hand in a Month.

Next year right at the end of Dormancy, just at bud swell, spray with a Dormant oil. This will kill off all the eggs the adults laid the season before. Better to prevent bugs, than to have to fight them later.

You can use Neem in hot bright weather however a light shade cloth on it, for a few days will prevent any possable sun scald of the leaves.

This posable sunburn is the only caution I have run into with Neem Oil. The soaps will do a fair job on larve & adults, but not the eggs. I would rather buy an inexpensieve, light weight cover cloth to provide a little shade if the weather is Hot & Bright.

Once you get rid of the eggs, you are on your way to gaining control of the pest. We have found out that it's the small bugs, we tend to miss that cost us more in the long run.

If I find any reason not to use Neem Oil on Citrus, I will re-post, best of luck with your task. Take a look with a google.com search, on Neem Oil. I think you will agree that this is quite a good & effective, natural pest control product.

Old 03-23-03, 01:09 AM
hurdle
Visiting Guest
Does Bug B Gon work?

Thanks for your reply.

Somehow I found a bottle of Bug B Gon in my storage and when I read the instructions it said could also kill mealy bugs. But I don't know if it kill larvae or eggs. It contains Diazinon as the active ingredients. Don't know if it work or not. But I think sometime ago, people told me not to use pesticide with Diazinon because of health hazards. Is that true?

Anyway I will go to get the Neem oil in some hardware store tomorrow. Thanks

Old 03-23-03, 12:06 PM
Smile Diazinon

Well I have seen people use the Diazinon on their lawns & both their dogs & Kids have had problems with their feet.

Many do it all insectisides like Bug B Gone are far to toxic for mealy bugs & many other easily killed or repelled bugs. I like to do as little damage, to the environment as needed to get the job done.

Many gardeners today have long since forgotten the oils & dusts that our Grandparents used to prevent bug build up.
The old an onunce of prevention is worth a pound of Cure

Today we have learned about the weakness of our little enimies & what natural cure we can use on them at their weakest body point or time life cycle.