advice on growing spaghetti squash

Old 03-31-03, 08:38 PM
anditay
Visiting Guest
advice on growing spaghetti squash

I'm looking for any help on how to grow , maintain and harvest spaghetti squash. If anyone knows about it please reply.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-03, 06:33 AM
Thumbs up Winter Squash

Hi Anditay!
Welcome to the DIY Gardening Forum! Spaghetti squash, like pumpkin, is a winter variety which means it matures in late summer to mid autumn. If you are going to be direct seeding it, do it when the soil has warmed to at least 65 degrees and space the seeds 3-4" apart. Winter squashes grow best when the air temperature is between 70 and 80, although the full growing range is 50 to 90. However, be weary of blossom drop if the temperature gets much above 90. They also thrive in a moist, slightly acidic soil (pH 5.5-7) Be careful when you water though that you do not wet the fruit of the leaves.

Other than that, they are pretty easy to take care of Where do you live, and what else do you have planned for this year?

Bomber

Old 04-01-03, 11:50 AM
anditay
Visiting Guest
Bomber,
Thanks for your advice on the squash. Do you know if the spaghetti squash is a vine plant or does it grow on a bush?

Old 04-01-03, 11:55 AM
Fine vine

I believe it is a vine, and a prolific one at that. However, I think the fruit may be to heavy for traditional trelissing methods. you would be best treating it like a pumpkin; let it trail along the ground