Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Are there any fruits/vegetables that can be planted indoors??

Are there any fruits/vegetables that can be planted indoors??

Old 04-04-03, 11:22 AM
lndsmith
Visiting Guest
Question Are there any fruits/vegetables that can be planted indoors??

I have an herb garden in my kitchen. I've been wanting some tomatoes, onion, peppers and carrots. I'd plant outside but work so much that when I get home, I may neglect the garden because it's a ways outside my house.

Is there any types of small veggies that I can plant indoors? Since it'd be 'in my face' everyday, I'd be better able to tend to them.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Dee

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-03, 01:02 PM
Smile Indoor Farming

Hi Dee,

Let me know as much as you know now, about growing miniture vegetables under artifical lights. I will then have a better chance, to give the right advice for your garden needs.

Many people grow vegetables inside all year long. We have resellers who have all the equipment we did not have 20 years ago. Did you ever see the movie Silient Running? Now that was growing inside on a big scale LOL

Marturo

Old 04-04-03, 07:54 PM
Indoor Veggies

Hi Dee
Greetings from the other moderator Obviously, growing veggies as "houseplants" is a bit different than growing them outside. First of all, like any container plant, they are going to dry out more easily and require more frequent watering than their in-ground counterparts.

As I see it, the toughest part of growing peppers and tomatoes indoors is going to be setting of fruit. You might have to pollinate the flowers yourself, but that really isnt difficult.

You mention onions on the list. Onions are a very forgiving crop. They don't require much attention, and are therefore good for the negligent gardener Just give them full sun and water them when needed, and they will be happy. However, because of their moderately deep root system, you will havge to plant them in a deep/big pot.

Bomber

Old 04-05-03, 07:07 AM
lndsmith
Visiting Guest
Wow! Thanks!

I think you have convinced me to take a stab at the 'outdoor' gardening. I had my heart set on cutting corners but after some thought, figured it is probably more difficult than I imagined.

I'd love to start a 'garden' in my back yard, but because this would be my first attempt at planting anything (aside from horticulture class in the 8th grade), I worry there are too many variables that I have no clue about.

My backyard has serious full sun throughout the day. I imagine I have part sun/part shade on the side of my house, but unfortunately, the sides pose a problem because it's on a slope.

Please then, can you tell me, what would be the easiest veggies that I could get grown in my backyard (full sun)? Something I don't have to wait until next fall to see fruition. You may be giggling at me, for I may be way off on duration, but again, I'm about as green at gardening (not of the the thumb sort) as anyone I know!

Thank you so much for your input!!
Dee

P.S. I live in central Missouri (ummm...what zone am I?) and have gravel about 8" below my top soil..if that helps--and I only know this because we've had to have a line hooked into city sewer recently.

Old 04-05-03, 10:21 AM
Smile Lucky new Gardener, Sun & drainage

Hi Dee,

You are from what I have read so far, one very lucky, new Gardener. Full sun & gravel about 8" below my top soil.

Wow! You have what every gardner dreams of right now. BTW most vegetables you can buy in the store, grow in full sun.

Hillsides can be terraced with RR Ties for an easy to maintain 1/2 raised beds from top to bottom.

Some people are just lucky I guess

Please look into our Stickys at the begining of the board. There is a wealth of links in those stickys for you & everyone to use and learn from.

Welcome to our happy band of Gardeners.

Marturo