starting rose cuttings

Old 04-05-03, 10:49 PM
Question starting rose cuttings

I live in Southern California and have been trying to propagate rose cuttings for the few years without any success.

I'd use the rooting hormone and soil-less mixes. The cuttings are usually 3/8" thick and about 7" long. All leaves were removed. The bottom end of the cuttings were dipped in the rooting hormone powder, covering at least one bud, and then placed in a hole about 3" deep and the mix firmed around the stem.

Most would show some wrinklings on the stem after a day and then turn brown within a few days. Some would start to sprout at the buds after a few days, but I would pinch it off, thinking that there could not be enough roots, if any, to sustain the growth of the new shoot. Was that a mistake?

I've tried this in the Fall and Spring. Placed them in partial sun and in all shade. Placing a clear plastic bag over the pots seemed more promising, but they would die off after a couple of weeks.

Pulling the cuttings up, I found the mix sticking to the stem to be moist, maybe too moist.

Any ideas? Does anyone have any success with rose cuttings?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-03, 12:02 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Dave,

Here's a link. It has drawings that are always helpful -

http://www.rooting-hormones.com/rose.htm

When taking cuttings of any plant, leave 2-3 leaves on the cutting. I think that's been your biggest mistake. Stems/branches usually can't live without green growth. They feed the cutting.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll be a master. I was told by a great gardener years ago that I didn't need to put plastic bags over my cuttings. I've never done that, even tho it's always suggested. I mist whenever I walk by them.

Good luck. Let us know if you have success.

Gami/Barb

Old 04-06-03, 10:03 PM
gami/barb,

Thanks for your reply. It makes sense that I need to leave some leaves for photo-synthesis.

The web site referred to was also very informative.

Will try some new cuttings this week.

Dave

Old 04-06-03, 10:53 PM
Smile Improved sucess with Dip N Gro

Hi Dave & Gami,

After 2 years of using this product & method, I claim better than 97 percent live plants with extreme root systems.

Product: Dip N Gro, not a powder this is a liquid you mix timed for contact. Read and follow the instructions & follow them to the letter.

A flat with extra high clear plastic top clear plastic cover. A heating pad or short cable for one or two flats.

A 4 foot shop light with one warm white & one cool white Plant lights are a waste of your money.

You can do 2 flats with the the 4 foot fixture & you will also need a $5.00 timer to give your plants at least 18 hours of light a day.

My guide with the cover, because you can rot or suffocate your starts if you don't let in fresh air. For the first 4 to seven days you can lift off the cover & give them a mist 2 to 3 times a day.

The bottom heat should have the clear plastic looking like a foggy shower stall. hard wood cuttings take the longest to root & soft wood like Impations will root and you can have the cover off but still misted 3 times a day in as short as 4 days.

We use Sunshine Soilless Seed Mix in different sized peat pots or jiffy 7s.

Roses, Figs, Tomatoes, Grapes & anything I can root to save $$$ Rootone Powder & I started using it many years ago was never this good as the Dip N Gro.

Marturo
PS: The only luck I have had rooting outside, is to take a long Rose branch or the likes, and put a large staple back about 8 inches from the tip. Bury the part that is held down to the ground, & it takes about 1.5 months to start rooting there. You can wait untill Fall, or snip the rooted end, from the Mother plants side & plant your new rooted plant. I once rooted 25 Forsythias off of one unpruned shaggy plant.

Last edited by marturo; 04-07-03 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-07-03, 08:06 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
You're welcome, Dave. When doing something for the first time, I try and find a website with drawings or photos.

Thanks a lot, Marturo. I know you mentioned Dip N Gro before, but forgot about it. I printed your explicit instructions off. I plan on taking cuttings on quite a few of our shrubs this year, so we can take them with us. I guess I'll throw my Rootone away.

Gami/Barb

Old 04-07-03, 04:55 PM
Smile That's the best way to take them with you.

You're welcome, Gami

I am so pleased, with the rooting sucess of Dip N Gro. I just want to tell everyone, how easy it is, to root cuttings & do Air Layering.

That vapor tent is so critical in an atempt to get a rootless plant to live, untill those first Microscopic roots form. Bottom heat is just, as important with rooting as it is with seed starting.

I may have told you that I have even rooted leaves with this DNG & they grew into full grown plants.

The dry powdered Rootone would just like any powder, clog up & dri out the stem causing rot, or just drying out. I still have a new unused container of Rootone, that I don't think I will ever use again. I got 50 to 60 percent rooted cuttings & thought that was as good as it gets. NOT! Go Go, Dip N Gro

Marturo

Old 04-07-03, 06:39 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks again, Marturo.

Instead of using bottom heat, what do you think about putting them in a porch where I close the air-conditioning vent? It gets morning and afternoon sun, but I also have a seed starting rack with lights. It gets really warm out there. I've started cuttings from flowers with great success and didn't put them under lights. I misted constantly, but will try your method of enclosing them.

Gami

Old 04-07-03, 10:37 PM
Gentle bottom heat.

Gami I know there are always other ways to do almost anything. I felt that since I only changed 1 element, in the way, I was taught to understand the rooting process. Please feel free to modify my advice, to suite your equipment etc.

The element I changed was the DNG liquid, that took 3 seconds for this & 12 seconds both using a different ratio of the product & water.

I learned that bottom heat, in fact heat brought on Germination. A good example is to till an area cleared of weeds. Soon the soil will be bursting forth with seeds some that are years old. Give them heat, up at the surface & they will germinate.

What I believe on rooting is that the bottom heat works together with the Hormone in the Root stimulant. I don't understand it all I just go by percentages. I realy never thought that 90 percent or more was possable in rooting cuttings.

In school we had clear plastic Tents like shower curtians with a top. Running across the top was a pipe that went to every area & was an overhead mister on a timer. We would grow large Mother Plants & take tip cuttings off them to do our cuttings.

Untill the roots start, the leaves must pick up all the water to keep the plant alive. So you need to maintain, 100 percent humidity at first untill you have some roots to take over.

Marturo

Old 04-08-03, 07:45 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks again, Marturo. You talked me into it. I have 2 heating pads--if I can get them away from my husband. I'm anxious to try cuttings from shrubs. I've just tried roses and flowers before.

Wouldn't it be nice to have one of those elaborate misting boxes with heat? Some day....

Gami

Old 04-10-03, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the inputs, Gami and Marturo.

I've been using Rootone all these years. Time to switch.

Dave