blueberry bushes

Old 04-22-03, 01:37 PM
mightknow
Visiting Guest
blueberry bushes

i was wondering if any of you would know how to propagate blueberry plants if it is possible?

Old 04-22-03, 01:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi, mightknow Welcome to DIYs Garden Forum

We just dig the shoots that a Farmer friend, has to trim or remove early season in his BB patchs.

Are you looking for more plants for your yard, or trying to reproduce your own plant? That would be Air Layering a small branch end or ends.

If I had a healthy bushy Mother plant, I would use the Air Layering method of rooting the new plants, while still on the Mother plant. When rooted cut off & plant.

Old 04-22-03, 07:38 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Propagation of blueberries

From my old gardening days, I recall that most commercial blueberry growers opted for new plants so they can get into production quicker. It's been a while since I have been around cultivated blueberries. Recent years have exposed me only to the highbush blueberries that grow in the wild. What a treat! Oh, to grow blueberries and to be able to have the time and patience to grow babies!

Typically, blueberries can be propagated by both hardwood and softwood cuttings. As I recall, most tended to prefer hardwood cuttings as they tended to be more hardy. Soft wood cuttings tended to lend themselves to more rapid multiplication of plants. There are other methods of propagation, such as layering, air layering, mounding, and even tissue culture. For info beyond this forum, your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent should be a wealth of free info. There is also a wealth of info online.

I am sure our friend marturo will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe ancient Chinese developed the airlayering method. It was a method used to propagate more difficult to root plants. Because it took lots of care and patience, this method once tended to be used only by highly trained horticulturists. Now, that we have polyethylene (plastic film) home gardeners are quite successful using this method.

The procedure use to be to wound the stem or branch of a plant and enclose the wounded stem with moist sphagnum moss or similar rooting medium until roots develop from the wounded area. Success was dependent upon the ability of the propagator to keep the rooting medium moist until the roots were formed and large enough to support the new plant.

How do you proceed with your air layering method, marturo? As you know, it's been a while since I have dug in the earth. How quickly can one get new plants established with air layering? As a commercial grower, do you recommend this method? Or, just for the home gardener?

Old 04-23-03, 09:19 AM
Smile Dip N Gro: make rooting easy & sure.

Hi twelvepole

Sure Air layering used to be very misunderstood. The bottom line is if you girdle a limb or trunk of a plant it will die.

Provide incentive in the Hormone Dip N Gro & wrap in spagnum moss (Wet) wrap the area with Cling wrap to keep it moist. I have used a small 10cc or so synringe with needle to inject water into the drying moss & cover small hole with a small piece of tape.

You will see the roots forming in the Moss, so let them get a good start, then cut off your new rooted plant, at least 1 inch below the rooting area. Treat the tree wound & the cut stob below your root ball with the Tree wound & pruning salve. Yellow bottole with brush, and black tarry dressing.

I still am waiting for mightknow to answer back, so I can know if Air Layering or some other method, might just fit the bill for them better.

If anyone has wanted to try Air Laywering I would have to say that with the new to me 2 years ago Dip N Gro has put the fun back into the vegetative plant propagation I enjoyed so much in Hort School using our misting chambers and Co2 generators etc.

I have rooted many leaves without stem just for fun & to see how far I can take this new systemic Rooting Hormone, Dip N Gro. Do follow the directions to the letter, to little or to much can leave you wishing you did follow the instructions.

Old 04-23-03, 12:57 PM
mightknow
Visiting Guest
BLUEBERRY PROPAGATION

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION MARTURO I WILL HAVE TO TRY YOUR METHOD

Old 04-23-03, 01:10 PM
Smile Air Layering it is then.

Your Welcome, mightknow

Good luck to you with your task.

Search this Thread