Propogation of Fruit Trees

Old 05-02-03, 01:50 PM
Sailor1
Visiting Guest
Propogation of Fruit Trees

I have a bunch of fruit trees in my backyard that I would like to have more of... what is the procedure to propogate the fruit trees? I have peach, plum, pear and apple, cherry trees...I did some research and found some ideas but nothing seems to work, I tried cutting a branch, 45 degrees and planting it...for months and not one root started. Can you guys give me a better clue on how to do this ancient task of propagation?

Old 05-02-03, 06:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Fruit Trees & Grafting

Hi Sailor1

Many fruit trees need to be grafted to a Scion, or special Root Stock. Trees have Tap roots & by Air Layering or Hard wood rooting with mist chambers, you get a tree with no Tap root.

There are some Links that are in the, Useful Garden Links that will lead you to some Farms that Graft, raise & sell all kinds of fruit trees.

I learned a lot about how the Fruit trees, I bought were started. Also how I could, depending on the root stock I chose, know how big the tree would grow to.

This in my case, is going to take some more study, I have thought about a class on Apple tree Grafting. I have seen the root systems for sale, so I know some others are doing their own Fruit Tree propagation out there.

We paid $26.00 + S&H for our Antique Apple trees & I to am looking foward to having more Trees, & saving money.

This is do-able, it's just more to it than rooting the cutting. We may have to grow our own Rootstocks to use, in the Graft with our fruit tree. Do a search on Google.com for home Orchard, I found some good learning sites, from Collages on that search.

Good luck to us both Ah how hard can it be? Famous last words LOL.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: