bugs in my veggies

Old 04-30-03, 03:07 PM
vmvansant
Visiting Guest
Unhappy bugs in my veggies

Recently I noticed small clear-green bugs living on some plants in my house. These are veggies and I don't want to kill them or not be able to eat them due to pesticides. These plants haven't been outside so I'm not sure what type of bug they are or where they came from.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-03, 06:05 PM
Smile a little searching will give us the answer.

Hi vmvansant Welcome to DIYs Garden Forum

How about doing a search on Google.com for Aphids. If that is what it is there is a control, a special soap made by Safers co.

If not at least you will have ruled out one of the baddies

We have Organic cures for many different problems today, but we have to know what it is first.

Also you will see a Sticky labled Pest Management where you can find Links too Insects, Fungus, pestisides Natural & Synthetic.

Please take a look, as we set this sticky up to help people find the pest or find it may be a good bug. A means of controling your pest problems quick and easy in one place.

Old 04-30-03, 06:31 PM
They sound like aphids. You may be able to get by just by spraying them with a little soap and water - easy peasy

As for where they came from, probably outside, they're just attracted to your plants.

What kinda veggies you growing, if you don't mind me askin.

Old 05-01-03, 01:00 PM
PJ57
Visiting Guest
vmvansant, you will likely need to go to a good nursery to get a cure, so why not snip off a small branch with these bugs, put 'em in a zip-lock and let someone at the nursery confirm what they are and lead you to a safe solution.

Old 05-01-03, 03:38 PM
Smile Sounds like a good idea.

Hi PJ57

The only exception is, this is ( Do It Yourself.Com ) & we, you, me, are trying to become less dependant on others not more. If you want something done right. Do It Yourself, a saying my GrandMother used.

I think that we should let vmvansant make up their own mind, as to why they came to DIY. After all anyone can ask for someone to do a search for them, & I did a lot of searches for the Stickys.

Let me give you an example. I am a MOD & yes I get favors from other MODs, but can you imagine how another MOD would feel if I had not even done a simple search. Yes my fellow MODs do give me a great deal of help, but this is after I have in some cases.

In some cases, I have Researched for days, finding all I could find myself, before asking another MOD for their Professional help.

The best thing my Parents did for me growing up, was to reply to my questions with an " Well go look it up" Order to do as much as I could, to find the answers myself.

So today after all this time, if I want to know something. I go look it up, & then ask for help, when I have gotten stuck, or just hit a dead end.

Now this may be an aphid & it may not. If vmvansant comes back & says yes, that is an Aphid then the next pests. You know, Mealy Bugs, White Flies, Lady Bug larvas, will be identified & proper step taken by vmvansant, who now knows how to, Do It Themselves.

I get a reward, when I see some folks a prisioner of, Fear of Failure, not using their full potential to do searches, & just feel more secure having someone else make the choices for them.

Sometimes people are lazy & have gone through life by just asking others for the Answers, getting as good a job as that person is willing to do. Sometimes a person just got a PC & needs a little help to figure it out. As many reasons as people we have here @ DIY. To me each case is different & most Members who come here, want to free themselves from dependance on others. The Poineer Spirit that we all come from, is verry strong in some.

I don't think, I am outside the mainstream, here at DIY, I have been a DIYer for a long long time. My main motive as a DIYer is, to get a great job, done by me. The one person, who must please me, & that is verry hard sometimes, being a Perfectionist LOL.

PS: Yes I write a lot, & this is so I can try, and teach you, some of the things I learned, that many times are not in the book. I could just give you, 2 or 3 Links, & it would be much easier for me, but not for you. No, that's not why I took this position, with Do it Yourself.Com.

Just a MODs .02 cents worth.

Old 05-02-03, 01:33 PM
PJ57
Visiting Guest
marturo, please don't get me wrong here, I respect your knowledge and the effort you put into this site. I just didn't see any difference in my suggestion to visit a local nursery and howiek's suggestion to the poster of "natural way to kill a lawn/zoysia plugging" to check with a County Agent, local landscaper or nursery.

Whether you answer the question, send them to a website or a local professional, in my opinion it's still discovery and DIY. What I suggested would teach the poster to recognize this particular bug, know how to treat it and do it on their own in the future.

The purpose of this site is to seek the advice of a professional. Likewise, the purpose of going to a nursery is to seek the advice of a professional.
I believe both avenues are equal relative to dependancy on others.

I would understand your response had I suggested that the poster pay a professional to come to the house, identify the bug and treat it. I agree that that is not what this board is about.

You say that sometimes people are just lazy and go through life by just asking others for answers. I would not call the hundreds of people who come to this site lazy.

I do understand what you are trying to say. For example: A fly fisherman never takes the time to identify the food he/she should be offering, always asks the local fly shop what's working or his buddy, or the guide, etc. I agree one should take the time to learn to find, recognize and select the right fly. It's much more rewarding and less dependant on others.

I enjoy this site and appreciate all the good information. I just felt it was a little harsh to slam my suggestion.

Best regards.

Old 05-02-03, 05:15 PM
The big mistake.

Hi PJ57
You said:

The purpose of this site is to seek the advice of a professional.

No that's not entirely true. This Home page statement, and Some Pros, who hand out links only, have caused this too seem to be the norm. This is still Do it Yourself & just what does, that really mean?

You said: (I just felt it was a little harsh to slam my suggestion)

I reread my post, & will take this time to talk, only to you. I have a habit of talking for others sake, as well as whom I am talking with.

Ok let's start by using the Automotive Forum. After describing a problem, and you may be talking with a real Mechanic. The first 2 things the MOD/Mechanic would like to see, is you know what the parts are named, & that you have a Work Shop Manual.

I see an active relationship between Mechanic & DIYer begining. As you know if you don't work on your own car. Where do you find working Mechanics, who have time to give you free information?

One good question to remember is. vmvansant asked about pesticide, in the first post. They don't want to use a Pesticide, because they don't know the name of a Natural Pestsicide to use instead.

I am a professional Organic Grower. I know the chalange people face, trying to find small nurseries that carry Natural products. Or who, there know's what's new & effective in the Organic choices, available today.

Odering from Fla, Ca, & Va, for our yearly Organic needs, for the Farms upcoming season. This gives me a chance to pass along these online stores, so others can find these products also @ good prices.

Now PJ57 I'm not going to change the way, I percieve most people who come to DIY. I believe most have a desire to learn, the basics, or how to troubleshoot advanced Computer problems if it will allow them to Do it themselves. All that and searches & classes, whatever it takes to become self reliant in themselves.

Take the Single Mom who found out, her so called trusted Mechanics were not changing her spark plugs, & still charging her.

She came to DIY & then took a course in Automotive basics @ the local Collage. The last time she wrote me, she had just rebuilt her Transmission & it was running great.

You said: [You say that sometimes people are just lazy and go through life by just asking others for answers. I would not call the hundreds of people who come to this site lazy. ]

Neither did I, and you know better, than to chose that sentence to describe, what I did say.

I don't mind a good debate, if fact I enjoy a good debate. However if you had a clue, as to how much much work MODs & active Members do here to help others.

Well I suppose, you would join us, and help us to help others as a Moderator. To say we are short handed, & need help would be an understatement. Well think about it if you want to, I can help you get in as a Moderator.

I dare say, you will meet a nice class of persons here, working both in fornt & behind the scenes at DIY. We just lost a great MOD due to Cancer.

I will never, forget how he ended the PM. Quote" Thank you for letting me work here, so I could help others"

To show you how much more helping people means to me, @ DIY than any Ego I may have left. I want to take this opportunity to apoligize to you, for any misunderstandings I may have caused.

Will you forgive me?

PS: PJ57 Would you please use our Private messaging, to contact me on this subject, if need be? DIY wants to take any distractions, off forum for the peace & focus of our Members.

BTW, anyone wishing to lodge a complaint. Please use the ( Contact us) at the bottom of each page. I asure you, they will take any action, they feel is fair. MODs work for free with no contract, so they are like any member when it comes to the ones, who decide.

Old 05-03-03, 10:55 AM
OK, OK, enough's enough. Lets try to stick to the subject at hand guys. Vmvansant, I still think that a little soap and water would help solve your aphid problem. (assuming that's what they are).

Anyways, let us know how the battle goes.

Jay

Old 05-03-03, 01:07 PM
Hi Jay Welcome to the DIY Garden Forum

(Lets try to stick to the subject at hand guys) Good Idea, I believe we have.

Now let me try to explain our views on Pest Management in the Garden forum. I think if we look back to the original post first, we can see it clearly.

"Recently I noticed small clear-green bugs living on some plants in my house. These are veggies and I don't want to kill them or not be able to eat them due to pesticides. These plants haven't been outside so I'm not sure what type of bug they are or where they came from."

Sure, we can say, oh that's an Aphid, & so can most anyone who has had a House Plant. Got it yet?

Now the problem may be, that as a Moderator I know, I am speaking to more than one, of the many visitors we have in the Garden & other forums @ DIY. I'm sure as a MOD here @ DIY, you would agree to that.

Because I believe, most Members are here @ DIY to learn, I try and teach them enough to do a search, get more quality information in less time. The two Moderaters @ Garden have done as much as possible, to teach how to identify the bug in question, & to determine if a spray or dust, is even needed. This is the way we work the Forum & have not heard any complaints yet.

Due to a lot of experience in Pest Management, Most Commercial Growers, have given up the spray & Pray methods of years gone by. Today we can trap insects and identify, do # counts use effective, non toxics on food plants.

Now last but not least we have two MODs, on this thread & they both know, what this means. vmvansant has not posted again, & that is not good.

vmvansant If you are still with us I want you to know that Aphids are verry common on House Plants. Also I have a problem with them in the Greenhouse each Spring.

Over maybe a 10 year period, I have had a hard time killing Aphids with Safers Soap (with salts of fatty acids.) We have been using a 1/2 strength mix, of Neem oil to control the clear green Aphids on our bedding plants. The only caution is don't spray Neem and expose the plant to Hot sunlight while it dries. I could burn the leaf tips.

I think you will have a good idea of how Neem works by doing a Google.com search for Neem oil. This is but one of the (Works real well ) new Natural Pestisides we have, that came out not that long ago. As long as you do not use a Sticker in with the Neem, you can just wash it off at the sink and eat the produce.

I wish you good luck, in getting your plants healthy again. I hope we were able to help guide you.