Colorado Blue Spruce hit by Lightening

Old 04-30-03, 11:55 PM
debrr
Visiting Guest
Colorado Blue Spruce hit by Lightening

I have a massive blue spruce (as tall as my 2 story house) that took a big hit of lightening. The main bark was destroyed as well as many branches. The rest of it still has needles. However, I noticed the new growth at the top this year looks dead. Does the tree have to be removed? Is there anything should do? Thanks!

Also one more question if I could...I see I could attach a jpg here but it is only suppose to be how big? Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-03, 03:40 AM
Generally, trees that have been struck by lightning will die. It will be cheaper to have it removed early. Your most informed decision might be based upon having an arborist come look at the tree.

hth

Old 05-02-03, 10:39 AM
Hi debrr

Also one more question if I could...I see I could attach a jpg here but it is only suppose to be how big? Thanks again.

I don't recall the exact size, but someone else said it was not enough to post a flea. I wish we all could post Pics of our Gardens but as I have been told.

We have Cracker jacks, or what ever they call them, post nudity & other childish trash, on DIY when that part of DIY that allows Pics to be posted is turned on.

Up in the Sticky that has, useful Garden Links is a link to Sierra. You can go there and join, then post your Pics & give us the link to your Pics.

chfite, has given you good safe advice, I would follow that advice. Even if the tree somehow lives, it will sicken and die a slow death.

Good luck to you, & I'm sorry you did not get the answers you were wanting. Lightning is tough on large trees, here in NC we have quite a bit of lightning.

Last Fall, I had to cut down a large Cherry next to the house. It got hit on a Sat & was starting to separate in the crotch area, in less than a month. When we cut it up, it was blackened in the center of Trunk & limbs. If I left it the Tree would have taken out part of my House before Spring.