Perennials/Annuals

Old 05-10-03, 05:54 AM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Perennials/Annuals

What's the difference between perennials and annuals?

Is it that annuals have to be planted every year because they die at the end of their season each year? If so, do you have to dig them up before planting ones for the following year?

Perennials - Come up automatically every year?

(I'm trying to find seeds to put in the flower bed and I would like ones I DON'T have to keep planting every year.)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-03, 06:44 AM
Annuals live one year and die. Often, they reseed themselves true to the plant. In the case of many hybrids, the plant that grows from the seed is a throwback to the original stock

Generally, the plants we are used to seeing are hybrids, the seeds produce something diminished from the prior plant. The generation from self seeding of pansies and marigold are examples of dimished plants in the generation that grows from dropped seeds.

In general, plants with woody stems are perennial. Butterfly bush, lantana. Plants that have tuberous roots, such as daylily, rudbeckia; are perennial. Many vines are perennial: jasmine, clematis, kudzu, wisteria.

Perennials persist. Plants such as azaleas, oak trees, lawn grass are perennials.

Locations can determine whether a plant is evergreen or perennial. Some plants drop their leaves and become dormant in sufficiently cold environments, but are evergreen in warmer climes. Some plants will live for several seasons in a warm climate, but would die in the colder ones.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-10-03, 07:46 AM
rlrcstrs
Visiting Guest
Perennials/Annuals

Okay, can you tell me what the following are as regards annual or perennial -

Cosmos
Zinnia
Mornng Glory
Bachelor Buttons
Alyssum
Wildflowers

Which ones are likely to reseed so I don't have to plant them again?

Old 05-10-03, 08:50 AM
These are all annuals. Only the true wildflowers will reseed true. They all will reseed, nature takes care of that. Some good plants that reseed true are texas blue bonnet and rudbeckia.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-10-03, 10:07 AM
If you want plants you don't have to plant again, then invest in some perennials. They will actually, in many cases, get larger so they can be divided. Go to your local nursery and ask to see the perennial section.

fred

Old 05-10-03, 11:01 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi rlrcstrs,

I'd like to add my .02 cents. Perennials come back year after year and spread so much that they can be divided and made into many plants throughout the years.

Annuals, however, need to be planted every year. The advantage of annuals is that they provide blooms throughout the summer when you "remember" to deadhead. If you don't deadhead, the plant "thinks" it has done its purpose; which is to grow, flower and produce seeds so it can reseed or the seeds can be gathered to spread around or be started the following year.

Most perennials have a certain blooming time and then they're done for the season leaving leafy foilage for the remainder of the year. There are exceptions to every rule and some perennials will bloom throughout the year. Once of these exceptions is the Stella d'oro lily. A golen yellow flower and very pretty and worth a try.

Gami