What vines are good for summer?

Old 04-20-03, 09:25 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question What vines are good for summer?

maybe a bad question, but the neighbors dont water their grass, and its drying out my area a little, and i have a chainlink fence and the summer sun is beating the crap out of the grass

I figure a some vines on the chainlink fence may give some more shade, coolness for some of the yard

which ones are good, i'm in Texas if you need to know the region/soil

Old 04-21-03, 06:55 AM
C
Pursuant to my other post, location matters.

Clematis vines are varied and pretty. Some of them grow fast, but most are deciduous in cooler areas. There is at least one evergreen one. I have some of the jasmines here. They are doing nicely on my chain link fence. Honeysuckle is agressive, rapidly growing vine that tends to be unruly in appearance.

Some open, airy bushes look good along a fence. They will grow into the fence to merge with it, and can be sheared to stay with the fence. Abelia, climbing rose.

One suggestion, ride around, see what others have done, stop and ask. Most people with nice yards love to talk about them. Often, they have a fortune in money and time invested in them.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-24-03, 03:50 PM
Gary52
Visiting Guest
Does Virginia Creeper grow down there? VC is a vigorous good cover vinr for fences if it does.

Old 04-24-03, 04:21 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Summer vines

Call your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent for vines that do well in your area. He/she is a free source of info. Perhaps they will mail you a list. Your Extension Agent is a wonderful source for info for all your gardening needs.

Old 05-15-03, 09:14 PM
Y
I'm in region 7b, the side of the house gets a lot of sun, but I've managed to plant some bushes there that are doing ok after 2yrs by that area

I'd prefer evergreens, so I have something year round, preferably nothing that would attract wasps

thats why I wont plant honeysuckles, I cant stand wasps

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: