Pink Dogwood --Wouldn't

Old 05-17-03, 04:09 PM
Unhappy Pink Dogwood --Wouldn't

I have two pink dogwood trees. We live here 3 years and this year for the first time they did not have a single blossom. Any ideas why?
They have good green growth. We fertilized the lawn last fall with a weed and feed product. But we did not use it within a 3 ft diameter of the tree. Could this be the problem. Thanks, Anita44

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-03, 07:22 PM
Did they set buds last year and the buds did not open or just no buds?

Old 05-20-03, 02:15 PM
At first it looked like they did not set buds but upon closer inspection I see a few that look like buds that did not open. I think I may have one that did. I am not very good at knowing what these buds are supposed to look like. But I am willing to learn. Anita44

Old 05-20-03, 07:17 PM
from - http://wildwnc.org/natnotes/thisbudsforyou.html

"Take a closer look at the flower buds of the Dogwood. Study the four bud scales, meeting at a cross-shaped suture, rising above the swollen spherical bud to a graceful cupola-like point, pale green in August, gradually becoming smoky gray during the long winter months. Watch as the bud scales separate, then slowly elongate at about the time the spring warblers return to their mountain nesting territories in late April.

The covering "scales" of the dogwood flower bud are actually the tips of the four large white petals (actually bracts) of the familiar dogwood blossom. Observe a dogwood "flower" next spring and notice the smoky gray indentations at the tip of each petal. This is the portion of the blossom which has been exposed to the elements since the previous August, a proclamation of the certainty of spring, nature's way of telling us that winter will not last forever. When you look at a dogwood flower bud, you are observing the tips of next spring's blossoms."

This is an accurate description of the appearance and timing of the buds. Many times, dogwoods bloom nicely one year and poorly the next. It depends upon feeding. It has been a drought here for the past 5 years or so. My trees are in mulched beds so they don't suffer from the drought. Plus, they are 40 years old.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-21-03, 12:35 PM
Thanks Chris you have been very helpful.
Anita44