Rhododendron help needed

Old 05-27-03, 09:49 PM
MsChip
Visiting Guest
Rhododendron help needed

I bought my first rhododendron plant this weekend. Exactly how much sun can this plant take...my yard faces due south, so does the rhododendron perform better, over all, in morning sun or afternoon sun?

From what I've read online about this specimen, some sites state this particular variety can take full sun in the midwest climates, but I'm kind of leary of doing that at the moment, since I have no previous experience with rhododendrons.

Here's what the tag says...
Variety: "Northern Starburst".
Exposure: "Partial Shade". (I hate how vague these tags are!)
Cold hardiness: " -30 to -20 F" (it doesn't get that cold here in the winter, 0 to a minus teens is typical.)

I have several locations where mature trees provide dense afternoon shade (from noon thru evening), but they're located towards the far back end of my property. It would surely be nice if I could plant this specimen closer to the house (sunnier area) where the shrub would be in better view and not burn to a crisp this summer.

Thanks

Old 05-27-03, 11:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile A versatile plant

Here in the Mountains of NC the rhododendron grows in dense areas under larger hardwoods; on the South side of the Mountains.

Rhododendrons & Azalias are both very popular for yards & public displays. I have seen them grow well, in both full sun & partial shade.

As we see many times most people, have more shade than sun in their yards. So marking the plant partial shade, it won't be passed over for a full sun marked plant.

They like an acid soil, & ours respond very well to ESPOMA HollyTone plant food. Plus they look good and grow well, with a pine needle mulch.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-29-03, 01:20 PM
PJ57
Visiting Guest
MsChip, I'm not an expert here, so will only offer up where mine are and how they do. I'm in Michigan, so I get similar weather. I have several planted together on a east facing side of the house, so they receive sun all morning, shade all afternoon. They have become a bush about 12 feet wide and about 6-7 feet tall (and are the envy of the neighborhood). They came with the house when we bought it - probably 15 years old or so. I have recently planted several on the west facing side of the house. Here though, they are shaded by the house in the morning and shaded by a large maple tree in the afternoon. They too have grown well. I have noticed, though, that the ones that receive a little more sun in the afternoon have more blooms. I fertilize them with Miracid about 3-4 times during the summer. It was recommended to me by my local nursery to plant them against the house so as to minimize wind during the cold winter. They also recommended spraying the leaves with something (sorry forgot the name, but it acts like hand lotion...helps keep leaves from drying out in winter)in the fall and again when you get one of those above freezing days mid-winter. I haven't used it but will this fall. This past winter (long periods of below freezing) took it's toll on the plants...lost several branches - fortunately not the whole bush. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: