a rose, a trumpet vine, and rhubarb

Old 06-12-03, 11:13 AM
a rose, a trumpet vine, and rhubarb

I'm such a gardener. lol

Thank goodness you folks are here.

Last year, towards the end of summer, I planted a rose bush. It had just enough time to sprout one single twig and put a flower at the end before it was the end of the growing season.

The flower smelled really good, and now It's not doing anything this year yet. It's been a cool end of spring here in southern Michigan, but my other established rose bushes are budding already. (First year with fertilizing... wonder how it'll effect the flowers) Do they take a brake for a season sometimes when planted so late in the season the year before? Anything I can do to help bring it to life?

This year I planted another rose bush (which is growing new 'branches') and an orange trumpet vine. The trumpet vine is showing zero signs of life. I've read about how hearty they are, and the package said it was a field grown plant two years old. Do these take a brake too? I planted it mid-May.

Ahhh. Now the rhubarb. Last year I noticed green aphids chowing on the new growth on one of my old rose bushes (supposedly over 50 years old). Pesticide took care of the little buggers. This year the top of what ever the heck sprouts from the rhubarb plant has black aphids. What the heck? Every plant has it's own aphid? And my yard happens to have every kind? lol

There were even black ants chowing down. Something's munching on the leaves, but mostly I saw the insects on the thing that grows up out of the top of the plant. (My granny had rhubarb patches... I never remember these sprout things.. looks like seeds too now) Are these insects of concern? Since the actual eaten part of the plant seems to be bug-free (for now) should I just cut off the sprout? (No rhubarb sex in MY yard!) Or will that hurt the plant (or cause the bugs to look until they find the nice parts that WE eat)?

For those of you who stuck with me, Iíve been checking this site out for a few minutes. (Ahh. Free time with the search engine looking for weird inventions.) It has (what it calls) absurd invention (USA) patents. HeckÖ some of those are handy sounding. But the descriptions are just HILARIOUS!

http://totallyabsurd.com/absurd.htm

Thank you for any help you can offer.

(I think I want one of these: http://totallyabsurd.com/fishbath.htm )

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-03, 05:20 PM
I don't know about roses. I ignore them and they grow and bloom anyway.

The American Rose Society has a website that may help.

http://www.ars.org/explore.cfm/askquestions/

The trumpet vine. My rule of thumb is that anything without leaves on June 1 is officially dead. You might flex a branch to see if it is supple or breaks off in your hand.

Rhubarb

http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/

Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-03, 05:56 PM
Smile What's bugging you?

Hi Jason

Lets look at the Aphids first. Think of Aphids as Cows & the black ant as the Farmer. The Aphids exude a sweet secreation that the ants use for food. Aphids hurt plants by introducing disease in their punture holes.

In return the Ants will protect the Aphids from Lady Bettles etc. I have Aphids everywhere this cool damp rainy Spring. We have been in a Drought for 5 years. Aphids are making up for lost time this season.

Do visit our Pest Management Sticky for more ideas & products to use in you pest Management routine. We have used Neem Oil in a fine spray mist with a teaspoon per gallon of dishwashing soap to help the oil spread & cover better.

All Bugs go through stages, so you will have to repete spray every 5 to 7 days. Neem oil has more killing power than the insect soap sprays yet is very safe for food crops.

Where you buy your plants really matters. Almost every plant I have bought from Lowe's Super Store, has died or was the wrong color I don't have enough room to tell you how many horror stories I have heard about buying Bargin plants.

Rhubarb has flower shoots, we just cut them & compost them. The Aphids will not eat on the poison leaves just new tender growth.

Roses are a labor of love & must be watched carefuly for signs of bug damage. I hang a Bag a Bug 25 feet from my Roses to draw Japanese Beetles away from them. I spray with Neem or Hot Pepper wax every 7 days. Bugs are easier to control before they breed to high numbers than after.

Just as an Owl eats Mice, every plant has it's predators. The more we learn about the plant, we soon see a pattern & a time frame for each pest. Weather does make a difference, but only in timing of hatches & feeding activity.

Let me know if you need anything else, like where to buy plants, or foliar feeding etc.

Old 06-12-03, 08:20 PM
Thank you very much for the help!

Great ideas.

The trumpet vine said on the package that it was guarenteed to live... I wonder if Wal-Mart will exchange a twig and a bulb.

I hope the rose bush comes back. It did (does) have very nice flowers.

Does the time of the summer have that big of an effect (like could it kill it)?

The one twig the rose bush was able to produce last summer broke off some time over the winter. So it only has the old dry sticks that were there when I planted it.

Basically that's all there ever was to the trumpet vine. It looked like montgomery burns in a woody compost type material. I'm sure the twig that's sticking up out of the ground would snap if I were to try to bend it.

Thanks again.

And rhubard leaves are poision? I wonder what is eating them....

Very interesting about the ants protecting the aphids from the ladybugs.

Old 06-12-03, 09:04 PM
Smile Wal-Mart Plants

Your welcome Josh

Now I have found some good plants @ Wal-Mart & if they don't grow, they will give you a replacement. The easy test for checking a plant for life, is to pull firmly but not to hard upwards. If the soil is not rock hard & dry, the plant should not give when pulled up on.

Ruhbarb leaves, like let's say Deadly Night Shade, would sicken us yet some bugs, have evolved to eat that plant. As long as the stems are ok, I would not worry about the leaves being eaten some.

The reason we plant in late Fall or very early Spring is to allow the roots to grow & send out feeder roots. Then when the leaves come out, the plant won't dehydrate, trying to move water to the upper parts of the plant, before the plant is hooked up to a water source. So Summer can be much harder to get transplants to make it, without special treatment.

Next time & sometimes we must transplant when it's hot. Try to shade the plant from the Afternoon hot sun, & get some type of clip on or stick in the ground mister. You can run it in the hot part of the day. This will keep the plant well hydrated until the roots catch, in 7 to 10 days.

The thing I don't understand is why the Super stores get Tomatoes in April, when it's still cold, & trees in June & July when it hot and dry outside.

I hope they will refund your plants, Wal-Mart likes to make customers happy, so talk with the Store Manager, if the Garden Dept gives you a line.

PS: Watch that Trumpet vine, they will get out of bounds very fast.

Old 06-15-03, 11:25 AM
Heh. Funny you say that about the trumpet vine. I say it at wal mart and thought it looked so pretty. And no refilling a hummingbird feeder.

Then I read about them on the net and wondered if I got in over my head.

Perhaps it's a good thing it croaked. lol

Any more managable plant that will grow in my neck of the woods that will attract hummingbirds?

Oh. About the rhubarb getting the leaves eaten. I remembered the last time I was weed-eating I whacked a couple of leaves a little. I totally forgot about that, and looks like they've been eaten.

Well... the weed-eater did it.

Thanks for all of your help.

Old 06-15-03, 11:33 AM
Hummingbirds like red flowers, especially. Honey suckle, petunia, vinca, flowers that are trumpet-shaped.

Here is a site dedicate to hummers.

http://portalproductions.com/h/gardens.htm

Hope this helps.

Old 06-16-03, 03:53 PM
Yes it did.

Thank you very much everybody.