There's a hole in my plastic garden pond.

Old 06-22-03, 09:54 AM
Performin Norman
Visiting Guest
There's a hole in my plastic garden pond.

I wasn't sure if this would be the place to post this but here goes.

Last winter, my garden pond developed a crack. I tried to silicone seal it but it didn't work, then I tried fiberglass and mesh but that pulled away from the plastic pond even though I prepped the surfaces well. Here is a shot of the crack/hole.

Please let me know if you have any ideas of how to patch it. I went to the store where I had purchased it so I could get a new one but they don't sell them any more.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 06-22-03, 10:37 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello PN

Unless you know the exact type of plastic or material that the liner is made of, it's tough to get an adhesive that will fix the problem. I think that most plastic adhesives melt or fuse the original and patch materials together. Silicon and other adhesives need a place to grip the smooth surface of the liner to form a bond and hold a patch. Btw, be carefull with what you use to patch the hole - silicone and many adhesives can be harmful to fish and other wildlife as it offgasses or leaches bi-products of the curing process into the surrounding atmosphere or water.

If all other efforts at patching the crack fail, you could buy a EMDM Rubber liner that we use for custom ponds and re-line the whole pond with it. You should be able to pick it up at most garden centres that have pond supplies or at a pond specialty store if you have one or more in your area. You'd have to allow for the area of the surface of the existing pond and add enough liner to go up the sides and over to maintain a complete lining. The rubber will conform to the existing shape and although it might have folds or wrinkles, it would stil hold water. You could place rocks or gravel in the pond to cover the liner and hide the folds. A good store could help you determine the size you need if you have the dimensions of the existing pond (width, length and depth).

Hope this helps - Good luck with your repair

Howie

Old 06-22-03, 11:12 AM
Performin Norman
Visiting Guest
Howie,

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it. I don't put fish in this pond. Nothing organic for that matter.

Old 06-22-03, 04:42 PM
You could also you get a ¼” rubber patch that will cover the hole with a few inches to spare you can apply ¼- ½ an asphalt roof sealant all over the back of it for sealer/gasket. Then rivet it on to you existing liner. Then cover the rivets with some more roof sealant. You might even consider doing the same thing on the reverse side of the liner. Let it dry for atleast 3 days before refilling.

Old 06-22-03, 04:50 PM
Performin Norman
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by WeldGod
You could also you get a ¼” rubber patch that will cover the hole with a few inches to spare you can apply ¼- ½ an asphalt roof sealant all over the back of it for sealer/gasket. Then rivet it on to you existing liner. Then cover the rivets with some more roof sealant. You might even consider doing the same thing on the reverse side of the liner. Let it dry for atleast 3 days before refilling.
Great info. Would this rubber patch and roof sealant be something readily available at any hardware store?

Thanks!

Old 06-22-03, 06:20 PM
Smile One other thought, a new product I found.

Hi Performin Norman Welcome to Garden

I found an Epoxy for plastic welding. Now I know that Epoxy anything, says it will bond plastic etc. If you have used it a lot, you know that some plastics it won't bond to at all.

This new stuff bonded PVC, ABS, Rubber all kinds, of plastic it repaired. I was working on your Motorcycles, when Silicone came out. For once we could keep your Bikes, from leaking oil all over your Garage floor

That feeling of making our own Gaskets & seals form a tube is somwhat the way I feel, about this new Plastic Welding system. It's a two part mix like epoxy, but I believe we are getting into the newer Polymer technology in this great plastic fixer.

I got it at the big discount Auto parts store. I'm not telling you the exact name, because I did just what I said I would not do. I ran out & did not get more, Arggg! I'll get some tommorow for sure. You can make small plastic parts like old Radio knobs, with this stuff.

You may want to give it a try. Epoxy, LocTite, Silicone, Co- Polymers & now a true plastic repair that works. All these products have made my life much easier, & given those who's Autos & Motor Cycles, I have repaired a class A job, & no leaks.

Old 06-22-03, 11:30 PM
Yes you should be able to find the supplies at any local hardware store. DAP waterproof roof sealant is what came to mind right of the top. Try to find some thick soft rubber for you patch.

Old 06-23-03, 03:24 PM
Performin Norman
Visiting Guest
Ok, time for you guys to laugh at my expense. I went to Westlake Hardware (my home away from home) today and was looking for the materials you told me about. I know all the people there by name. One of them asks me what I am doing this time (Tim Tayloer thing) and I explain to him. He says "Why don't you just use the patch kit made for those inserts?"

Old 06-24-03, 12:43 AM
LOL ....... I would have told him because it was to easy.

Old 06-24-03, 06:00 AM
Performin Norman
Visiting Guest

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: