weigelia shrub not nice this year

Old 06-28-03, 11:11 AM
Angry weigelia shrub not nice this year

My 20 year old weigelia (Large variety) not as beautiful as its used to. We had a very cold winter this year. The flowers are not as plentifull as before. Can I just cut the branches down a little to give it a boost or is it a lack of fertilization. Any suggestion will be appreciated. P.A.T.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-03, 10:35 PM
Smile A verry cold winter indeed

Hi P.A.T. Welcome to the DIY Garden Forum

That was some Winter we had, no doubt about it. We have been through 6 mild winters & long hot dry Summers here in NC.

We live just a few miles from the Main gate to Pisgah National Forrest. We have seen Mushrooms this season, we have not seen for years with 18" inches of rain in March, April & May.

If the only thing amiss with your tree, is it did not Flower this year, it could most likely be the cold weather. I am intrested in how often & what, where & when you feed the tree. The plant's imunne system, is what give us healthy long lasting plant's.

Let me have a run down of your feeding scedule, for the last 3 years, & I may see something you need to do, that can give you many more years, with healthly Trees & plants.