austrian pine trees

Old 06-29-03, 09:43 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
austrian pine trees

Planted about fifty Austrian Pine trees about three years ago and they now have reached two to three feet high producing nice new growth each year.....but, some of them have longer branches growing out and are taking on some lopsided growth. Can anyone tell me when and how to begin trimming these trees so they begin to take shape and force new growth? Will appreciate any help before they get too big and become difficult to shape.

Dave Doran

Old 06-29-03, 10:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile The art of Tree Pruning.

Hello Dave Welcome to DIYs Garden Forum

Take some time & visit out help Stickys at the begining of our board. Every tree needs some help in gaining a form.

There is a summer pruning program with some trees, however most of our pruning will be done when the plant is Dormant. The plant needs this or that area to fill out, or there is over crowding in parts, needing thinned out.

My caution to you, is to get to know the tree you plan on shaping. Much good work has been made available on line, by the Ag Collages. Every cut you make will have a reaction from the tree. You need to learn how & why we make the cuts, just as I have to study how to prune an Apple tree from the 1300s, that looks nothing like the Modern Apple Trees, I learned on in School.

My first Hort teacher taught me. When pruning a tree, it's better to take off to little at first. You can always cut more later, but one tool we don't have, is a branch strecher LOL

WWW.google.com try (Austrian Pine culture) or (Shaping the Austrian Pine). You have come to the right place to learn to DIY & the good feeling of knowing you did it right. No rush jobs & you only have to please yourself.

Ask Questions or answer some questions, we are all here to learn

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: