stupid tree question

Old 07-06-03, 11:16 AM
stupid tree question

Hello all, I have a hamoc swing I want to hang from a 6-7 inch diameter tree branch,if I drill a 3/8 hloe right through the middle can I do any damage to the tree ,thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-03, 02:19 PM
Well, it would be a 3/8 inch hole right through the middle of the tree. It could invite all sorts of problems that can be avoided.

Why not just tie the hammock to the tree with a rolling hitch. It won't slide, is adjustable, and won't harm the tree.

Rolling hitch - take the running end of the rope and pass around the tree twice then finish with two half-hitches.

http://www.troop7.org/Knots/Rolling.html

Hope this helps.

Old 07-06-03, 03:08 PM
I agree with Chris - a hole is probably the last thing you want to put in your tree. Tyeing the hammock to the supports is much preferred...

Better yet, if you can find or fashion something similar to this, you won't have to contend with sticky knots or chaffing tender bark with the rope... http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page...urrency=2&SID=

Howie

Old 07-06-03, 08:36 PM
thanks for the reply, I guess I thought too far into that one,the knot makes more sense,sorry to waste your time.I'll look into those straps also. Thanks again.

Old 07-06-03, 09:16 PM
Questions asked here are never a waste of our time.