trumpetvine

Old 07-14-03, 09:30 AM
mimosaflower
Visiting Guest
trumpetvine

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with my trumpetvines. I moved into my house about three years ago and it was overwhelmed with trumpet vines. I cut it all back and since then have not had a single flower. It grows well every spring and spreads like crazy but not a single flower bud. It bloomed nicely before it was trimmed. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks M.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-03, 09:36 AM
Smile Trunpet vine

Hello M Welcome to DIYs Garden Forum

Let me make sure I have Your question right.

You want to keep and try to stimulate Flowering, in your Trumpet Vine.

Yes?

Old 07-14-03, 09:45 AM
mimosaflower
Visiting Guest
Hi Marturo,
Yes I would like to keep them I try to trim them back once a year so they do get out of hand. They get trimmed towards the end of summer or early fall.
M.

Old 07-14-03, 04:59 PM
Smile Flowers for trumpet vine

Ok good, let's get started.

What & how have you fed the vine? What is your soil Ph around the plant? Do you understand Foliar feeding & when to apply?

Nitrogen the first # in 10-10-10- fertelizer is great for green growth. Too much and flowers & fruits will be stunted or not at all.

When someone asks me for 1 all purpose plant food. I tell them to use 5-10-15 for good growth & good Flowers & fruit.

Sometimes their are more than 1 problem & a plant can & will stop flowering when it feels it needs to put that energy into something else. However I was trained, to make sure that everything the plant needs is met first.

This is why we have used dried kelp on our land since 72 & have never had a Micronutrient deficency in our plants.

Old 07-15-03, 06:25 AM
mimosaflower
Visiting Guest
Thank you for replying so quickly. These vines are on the south side of my house in a garden that was here before I bought the house. This garden was overgrown with the vines and weeds. Since cleaning up the garden and also planting new perennials which all bloom by the way, I feed them occasionally with the green stuff you mix with water. The soil I have not yet had tested since I had no need to yet,but it does tend to be acidy. The only changes I have made toward the trumpet vines is the additional plants in the garden and laying down some cedar mulch. It doesn't seem to have any pests or diseases. I'm willing to fertilize but don't know when to start. Will the fertilizer be all right for my other plants mums,lilies,hibiscus,roses etc.? Thank you M.

Old 07-16-03, 09:44 AM
Smile A bunch of info on the Trumpet vine.

This is a link from another Garden Forum. There are some very good posts, all about the Trumpet vine.

I would be careful with the cedar mulch, as many pine mulches can make the soil very acid. I bought a Ph meter for less than $20.00, it has a probe that gives me a quick reading of the soils Ph.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...184714731.html

I have read where the flowers bear on new wood, & to dead head the old flowers, to prevent seed production. The latter is more to keep spreading by roots, the only way the plant can trasport it's self.

I still reccomend if you use the salt based modern plant foods. It's hard to beat the 5-10-15 worked into the soil of both Vegetable & Flower Gardens in early Spring & early summer.

Let's hope that the vine get's back to it's normal routine soon.